Catholic School Students Yell at Jewish Students...

I just can’t get worked up enough about this to give a shit. Sorry, Monty.

Depends on the school I suppose. I had a good friend who went to a Catholic school and got caught running a girl’s beaver cheaters (without her in them) up the flagpole. His punishment was to copy the Bible, in longhand, and turn it in. Oh, he’s not Catholic anymore.

“Beaver cheaters”? Given the slang for “beaver” and the context of running them up a flagpole, I assume it’s some sort of panty, but I’m unfamiliar with this phrase.

Post from 2003

Yeah, copying that darn thing longhand might just do it.

Maybe Muslim terrorists could be forced to do the same thing with the Koran?

World peace in 5 years tops.

One thing that makes me laugh about this story is that kids at religious schools think it’s okay to yell derogatory insults. Shouldn’t the kids at a religious school embody the tenants of their religion more than anyone? I guess they haven’t gotten to the classes about love your enemy and turn the other cheek yet.

Consider the example so many of their parents provide.

Huh. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered such form of underwear.

There is a good argument that the current Jewish power structure wanted Jesus killed. He was seen as a troublemaker and rabble-rouser, and some thought he was dangerous.

Sure, there’s all that stuff about the crowd shouting, “Crucify him!” and the idea that they said “let the blood be upon our own hands.” But all that reads like an excuse to vilify Jewish people. And, even if that happened, why would you assume the crowd was everyone? Or that they couldn’t be easily swayed to say whatever by a few strategic plants, not realizing what they were doing?

The main thing is that Jesus flat out said “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” If Jesus forgives, what right do we have not to? Even if they were guilty, Jesus’s forgiveness means they no longer are.

I think this was mentioned above but, in my Catholic upbringing, we were part of the “crucify him” crowd in the passion plays or Good Friday service (I think it was technically not a mass, from what I remember.) We were supposed to identify with the Jewish people and responded with their parts and that we, too, would be there shouting to crucify Jesus. And, also, that the death (and subsequent resurrection) was necessary for the salvation of souls. It’s been many years, so I may be misremembering, but that’s what I remember of the teachings.

True, but it’s also the stereotype for rabbis. I guess the stereotypical rabbi is Orthodox. Check out, for example, a Google search for “rabbi clipart.”

Though I did leave out the black robe and white prayer shawl.

South Park?

Oh, please. :rolleyes: Like I said, these are dumbass kids. I went to Catholic school for 13 years. They tried to inculcate a lot of things (some good, some bad) with varied success.

You seem to be entirely unfamiliar, or have forgotten, the mentality of adolescents. They do and say a lot of things for no other reason that adults have told them not to. The fact that these kids said some reprehensible says very little about what they were instructed not to do or how their elders behave.

Oh, yeah. Good point. I’ve seen that before, and heard that argument. I mean, the Bible does talk about how our sin is what crucified Christ, so why not represent it as such right then?

My Protestant church never did this, but I’ve been part of the drama/choir that had to shout this. Even though I had previously been one of the disciples in the Last Supper, which we would mime while they were singing about it.

With authentic passover bread, BTW (so Jesus could break it).Though not the wine–we faked that.

Honestly, that’s where I know the phrase from, or variations of it, from. I don’t remember “The Jews killed Jesus” being taught anywhere from my Catholic grammar school or Christian Brothers (Catholic) high school. Heck, we even had a Muslim come to our religion class to teach about his religion, and we weren’t exactly a liberal Catholic institution.

I think it has more to do with the sport, the age, and that fine line between witty/stupid/offensive. Basketball is the worst for chants/chirping. Everyone gets pissed at every single call.

Football/LAX/ Soccer- too hard to hear witty chants across the field, not enough scoring. Difficult to get angry when you are looking at each other trying to figure out what they said.

Cross Country/Nordic. Can’t see the competitors most of the time. Also, more cowbell.

Swimming, Volleyball, Wrestling, Track, etc. Mostly just random screaming.

Hockey-some chanting, smack talking, but they usually just beat the tar out of each in the parking lot afterwards. Not hyperbole.

Basketball-Small, enclosed court, high scoring, lots of calls by the refs. Plus basketball fans are, let’s face it, a bunch of whiners in general. My cite is I’ve been to at least 75 games this season, for the 13th year in a row, and I don’t even like basketball. Waah, waah, waah.

Our Catholic high school doesn’t bar opposing fans that are wearing priest’s garb, and we seem to be able to handle it. I find it vaguely amusing. There has been times when the kids from both sides have been told to take it down a notch. Most of the chirping with our biggest rivals have to do with income and class disparities, rather than religion, although it is still a go to favorite on their part. Our school does talk extensively about representing well and having pride in public, no matter the venue because they wear uniforms, etc, etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Honestly I have seen more parents and coaches kicked out of the game for talking smack, than any kids, ever. 5-15 every year.

One of my favorite good ones was when one of the kids from our school named Moses dressed like Moses with a staff, and repeatedly parted our fans, all wearing red shirts.

The worst behavior I have personally witnessed by the crowd is when one of our guys was attempting free throws, and the opposition called him out by name as he was doing it. Say “JOHN SMITH, YOU SUCK!” every single time. That was beyond the pale. Backstory is he accidently injured their soccer goalie, and they believed he caused them to lose the soccer season. The rancor bled into Bball.

I don’t get too rev’d up about any of this stuff. They’re kids, they’re stupid and trying to be witty and obnoxious. The penalty seemed about right, the chant was obnoxious and ignorant. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was talked about ad nauseum for at least a week, pounded into their heads not to do it again, and you should feel terribly guilty, too.

Like I said, I’m not sure how well someone showing up looking like a rabbi or an imam would go over.

This is what I remember from Catholic elementary school from about 1955-1964. We were pretty specifically told NOT to blame the Jews.

Oh, and those “beaver cheaters (never heard that term myself)” were called petit pants.

Highschoolers gonna highschool.

Administration gonna make 'em apologize.

You would have given precisely zero fucks under any other circumstances, because this is just dumb kids being dumb kids that happened to hit your trigger.

The kids did the wrong thing, the administration handled it appropriately.

No need to… crucify… anyone here.

Amen!

To second pulykamell, the Catholic Gospel reading every Palm Sunday has the congregation taking the part of the crowd. In other words, we, the attending faithful, are the ones who call for the release of Barabas and demand that Christ be crucified.