Catholic vs Covenant Church

I’ve been a Catholic all my life (maybe not the best - but have always identified myself as a Catholic). I lapsed at times, didn’t attend mass off and on through the years mostly just being lazy. I was baptized, made my First Communion, was confirmed and was married in the church. My husband the same. We hadn’t been to church in a while and my husband said one day that he’d like to start going to church again, but he didn’t want to go to a Catholic Church. I had a hard time with that - I felt I was abandoning my Catholic roots. But I told him I’d TRY another church (this was after many weeks of going around and around with him). So he picked a Covenant church close to our home. It’s different from what I’m used to - neither good or bad - just different. There are things I miss, but I can live with it.

I’m wondering if there are others here that have made a switch like this and what your thoughts are.

My wife was a life-long Roman Catholic. Her brother/my brother-in-law is a bishop, as a matter of fact.

Both my wife and I are “mere Christians” in the C.S. Lewis sense of the word - committed to Christ but not very interested in sectarian controversies. We used to alternate between attending mass at a Roman Catholic church, and a Lutheran church. I couldn’t take Communion at the RC church, and eventually when we moved we started attending the Lutheran church exclusively.

She is now a Lutheran pastor.

FWIW.

Regards,
Shodan

Why not just go Episcopalian/Anglican? It’s a smaller jump than something which sounds to me like a rather “low” church. Even some Lutheran churches are Catholic-esque. I don’t think “Covenant Church” has any meaning beyond that particular church, so without knowing the particular denomination (Evangelical Covenant Church?) it’s hard to say what they believe.

This is, in essence, me, as well.

I was raised as a Catholic (Mass every Sunday, went to parochial schools), but the faith never really sank in. As an adult, I discovered my faith, and I’ve been a member of several different churches (and different denominations) over the course of my adult life; I currently belong to a Methodist congregation. When I’ve changed from one denomination to another, it’s been about seeking a particular form of spiritual community, or for family reasons, rather than feeling a strong tie to a particular denomination.

If part of what you feel like you’re missing from Catholicism is the liturgy, then, as thelurkinghorror notes, you may want to try a Protestant church that has more traditional liturgy – denominations like the Epsicopals, Methodists, and (some) Lutherans have liturgy that is often very similar in form to a Catholic Mass. My wife was raised in an ELCA Lutheran church, and when we married, I joined an ELCA church – the liturgy there was probably 90% recognizable to a Catholic.

But, this can vary widely by congregation, and even the service within a congregation – the early service at my Methodist church is very traditional, and “high church”, but the late morning service is more freeform, and uses modern worship music, with a rock band instead of the pipe organ and piano.

FWIW, my husband (active Lutheran) and I (active RC) were both able to feel comfortable with the Episcopalian services. We moved around a lot while married and in some locations we didn’t have churches of both our faiths available, so it was nice to have a comfortable alternative.

The last applies to Catholic congregations as well. Go to a Youth Mass at St. Francis, to a morning service at Corpus Christi, or to a noon service at St. Augustine, and they’re almost in different languages. The decor in the third one will also be a lot barer than in the other two, which will share several images (the saints of Assisi are very popular with the Jesuits; Corpus Christi is very much a Jesuit name).

Sounds like a good organization to me.

I know I don’t really belong to the denomination I was raised in, but I’ve not yet really sought out another church yet. Mostly just been reading up on beliefs and such, and this one sounds like one I could get behind.

That said, I have been to a Catholic Mass, despite not being Catholic myself, and I did find it quite interesting, too. Growing up, I thought ritual was stupid and “not listening to God,” but I’ve grown an appreciation for that, too, at times. The beautiful art and the scholarship are appealing, too.

Point is, I find that you can go and enjoy a service/mass separately to your beliefs. I missed a lot of stuff from my church, but it was still fine.