Catholics Practice Catholicism. The Amish Practice ????

Is there one word that describes the brand of Christianity that the Amish practice? I’ve never heard the word “Amishism.”

Anabaptism?

I don’t think there is, other than Anabaptism. Also, there are ‘branches’ of the Amish religion: the Old-Order Amish, for instance, and the New-Order, plus several other off-shoots. They are all Anabaptists, though, and the difference between the groups are more practice-based than doctrine-based. Different types of clothes (some Amish groups actually wear modern clothes), differing tolerance for the use of technology, etc.

What is the name of the religion Baptists follow? Baptism is an act practiced by many religions. Is it also the name of the specific religion?

Missed my edit window. There should have been an ‘almost’ between the highlighted words. The least conservative Amish groups allow their men to wear modern clothing with zippers and fasteners, but they still require beards for grown men. And the women wear caps and very conservative dresses. So while they are much more ‘modern’ than the sterotypical Amish ‘look,’ they are still distinctive.

Amishry?

Ooooh oooh, I’ve got another one: do Quakers practice Quackery?

:smiley:

And do their prayers echo?

You probably already know this, but “Quakers” are member of the Religious Society of Friends. All these one-name faiths have proper names that their members use instead of the commen appellation.
Members of the Church of the Shrike really get pissed off when you call them Shrikers.

Wag: What do you Quakers call your faith, Quakerism??
Quaker: “Friendship. :D”

>“Quakers” are member of the Religious Society of Friends. All these one-name faiths have proper names that their members use instead of the commen appellation.

It’s a mix, in my limited exposure to Quakerism. I attended a Quaker boarding school for 4 years. They used both the terms “Quaker” and “Friend” frequently. The classes about their religion were entitled “Quakerism”. I think more formal things like the names of organizations were liklier to use “Friend”, but casual conversation was pretty likely to use “Quaker”, especially because “Friend” often relies on context to know what is meant.

My roomate got sick for a few days and stayed in the infirmary. One of the students working there (we all had different jobs in rotation) happened to be pretty devout, and to follow the more formal customs of speech. When she came to clear the dishes from his dinner, there was still some food left, so she asked him, “Is Thee done?”. In all innocense he asked, “Is the WHAT done?”

I have to say that out of all the theistic religions, if I had to be stuck on an island with a member of one of them it would probably be the Quakers. They’re really nice people.

Nowadays, it doesn’t go without saying that Quakers are a theistic religion.

They’re not Unitarians. I mean, while there certainly are non-theist Friends out there, Quakerism is still a Christian religion.