Caveman vs. Astronaut

She’ll go make the caveman a sandwich?

For this hypothetical, I assume that Caveman and Astronaut are superheroes in the comics. Their big double-issue versus crossover means they fight to a draw and are then forced to team up to defeat Evil Dinosaur together.

Why would the astronaut’s gender affect her ability to be Ninja?

Fair point. OK then, what if the caveman identifies as female?

well he probably lacks any hormone replacement therapies so I doubt it will affect his ability to engage in combat.

Here’s a link showing how strongly people can feel about this very issue:

Why do you think the Cro-Magnon (I refuse to use the other CM word) would be stronger? The astronaut is virtually certain to be better fed, to have fewer parasites and other disease-causing organisms in her system, and so forth. Probably taller.

You start by fighting the hypothetical caveman?

Since the caveman has never played a video game before and doesn’t know how to use the controller the spaceman will beat him every time at crossword puzzles.

My dear sir. Rhymers only engage in combat when we have an obvious and unfair advantage. CroMag comes at me with a stick, I’m either coming back at him with my shotgun or running away crying like a little girl.

I was only fighting the term “cave-man.” I don’t use words with a diphthong in the first syllable.

What kind of caveman? If it’s a Neanderthal, then the Neanderthal wins in a walk – he’s probably twice as strong. If it’s a Cro-Magnon, I’d still probably bet on the caveman – he’s certainly killed lots of animals up close before, and likely has fought humans hand-to-hand (and if he’s still around and healthy it may mean that he won those fights!). A caveman wouldn’t shirk from going all out at all – an astronaut might, even just for a moment, which could be enough to lose.

I don’t think I buy the nutrition argument – adult hunter-gatherers in a healthy environment (meaning a forest or whatever that hasn’t been damaged and sickened by industry) will probably be very healthy themselves… roots, tubers, berries, fish, and meat – that’s a pretty healthy diet.

History has shown that in this exact conflict, with the contest adjusted once midway through so that each side had a “home field” advantage, that they both lost.

Cancelled after one season.

While they may be equally intelligent, the astronaut has the advantage of a couple of thousand years of other’s experiences to draw on. Astronaut FTW.

I wasn’t comparing the CroMag to a random hoser. I was comparing him or her to an astronaut, who is probably in better condition than average. Or to me, who will insist on using a firearm.

Astronaut… if he’s prepared.

Ooh, ooh, Gronk know who win!

FWIW my vague recollection of this coming up on Angel was the inspiration for this thread :slight_smile:

Because cavemen had to do everything through sheer physical force. Imagine the strength one would develop just surviving. And a her? Really? He or she would have no answer for the physical power, aggression and fighting experience of a caveman.

Assuming unarmed (or environment-armed) combat, I’d still bet heavily on the caveman. The CroMag is already a killer – he’s killed before to survive, and he has no problem with it. He’s probably kicked ass too, just to survive in the tribe. Every day is a fight for his life, and he’ll have no compunction from the start about doing whatever it takes to survive.

You think the Cro-Mag’s stick is gonna be a match for even my REVOLVER?