Celebrities who won't sign autographs.

[QUOTE=Ol’Gaffer]

On the other hand, I went to a Bruce Campbell book signing and there were hundreds of people there. We waited in line for several hours before we got in and we realized the reason it was taking so long was that he was chatting with every single person who came through the line. When I got up there I thanked him for sticking around for so long and he said “Well, you know if I take off there will be stories all over the internet about what an asshole I am!” Very cool guy. He signed my Bubba Ho-Tep poster with T.C.B. - Bruce Campbell - Elvis.
[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely true - Mr. Bunny and I got to meet Bruce a couple months ago at a book signing, and like you said there were hundreds upon hundreds of folks there, and he chatted for a couple minutes with every. Single. One, signed whatever they’d brought with them and posed for a picture as well. The employees at the bookstore said he’d probably be there till the wee hours of the morning doing so. Really a great guy.

[QUOTE=beergeek279]
I can understand why people wouldn’t sign autographs…after all, if you sign 50, then the 51st is going to go home and tell their freinds what a prick you were, or else there’s a good chance that autograph is going to end up on Ebay.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, it’s far, far better to have 51 people think you’re a prick than to have 50 think you’re swell if there’s the chance that even one of them might make money off you.

Not enough :rolleyes:'s in the world.

[QUOTE=silenus]
At the other end of the scale, Stephen King jokes that if you have an unsigned copy of The Stand, hang onto it. It’s worth a bundle! :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

I have unsigned copies of both editions (edited and unedited). I must be worth a double bundle.

King signed a photo of a fan and himself once. For Mark David Chapman :eek:

When Christopher Reeve was doing “Fifth of July” on Broadway, he not only signed my window card, but I got to walk down the street with him to the store where I bought it because he wanted to get some. A helluva nice guy.

Was Chapman the fan?

I hear Helen Hayes was so generous with autographs that hers is virtually worthless. :dubious:

R. Crumb does not sign.

[QUOTE=Beware of Doug]
Was Chapman the fan?

:dubious:
[/QUOTE]

Yep! :eek: :eek:

I’ve had the opportunities to ask a bunch of Broadway stars for autographs, and it’s rare to get turned down. I got Richard Thomas to sign HIS Fifth of July window card at the Broadway Flea Market three years ago. He was very, very surprised to see it.

That’s really a pretty good way to get autographs when the people are tired or really don’t want to. Give them something unusual from their past to sign. I got George R. R. Martin to not only sign a few books for me, but got about 20 minutes of conversation out of him when I offered up my first edition of Armageddon Rag instead of a Fire and Ice volume.

[QUOTE=Wee Bairn]
R. Crumb does not sign.
[/QUOTE]
Well, that’s different. He’s built a whole oeuvre around being a misanthrope.

[QUOTE=Annie-Xmas]
When Christopher Reeve was doing “Fifth of July” on Broadway, he not only signed my window card, but I got to walk down the street with him to the store where I bought it because he wanted to get some.
[/QUOTE]

You had sex with Christopher Reeve?!

I’m told that Robert Fripp not only won’t sign autographs, he’s liable to run away as fast as he can if you approach him about one.

[QUOTE=The Chao Goes Mu]
I heard that Cybil Shepherd was a total bitch to fans…
[/QUOTE]

I know of at least one occasion where that was definitely not the case. A friend of mine saw her at a local restaurant and invited her to a rooftop party he was holding the next day. She showed up with her German Shepherd (who took commands in German) and two bodyguards. She hung out for about an hour and had a beer with us. No one asked her for an autograph, but she was nothing but pleasant the entire time.

[QUOTE=Cisco]
You had sex with Christopher Reeve?!
[/QUOTE]

No. He wanted to get some window cards with his name on them. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Annie-Xmas]
I have unsigned copies of both editions (edited and unedited). I must be worth a double bundle.

King signed a photo of a fan and himself once. For Mark David Chapman :eek:

[/QUOTE]

So did King then commission Chapman to kill Lennon or did he switch places with Chapman, kill Lennon, then switch back & leave Chapman to be the fall guy?

:smiley:

[QUOTE=Arhat]
I know of at least one occasion where that was definitely not the case. A friend of mine saw her at a local restaurant and invited her to a rooftop party he was holding the next day. She showed up with her German Shepherd (who took commands in German) …
[/QUOTE]

And while they were in the elevator together, Cybill said sharply “Sit!”, and they sat on the floor…

d&r

[QUOTE=astorian]
I’m told that Robert Fripp not only won’t sign autographs, he’s liable to run away as fast as he can if you approach him about one.
[/QUOTE]

It’s not so much that he’s against giving out his autograph per se, it’s that he is fiercely protective of his personal space and can’t stand being approached by fans when he’s not “on.” I did once succeed in getting him to sign a copy of Discipline that was already signed by Adrian Belew and Bill Bruford.

A friend of mine always tells the story of how he approached Fripp at an in-store appearance in 1979 where he was playing Frippertronics and signing copies of Exposure. He handed Fripp a program from King Crimson’s performance at the Fillmore East in 1969. Fripp handed it back, saying “I don’t sign books.”

[QUOTE=FriarTed]
So did King then commission Chapman to kill Lennon or did he switch places with Chapman, kill Lennon, then switch back & leave Chapman to be the fall guy?

:smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Been to Stephen Lightfoot’s website?

[QUOTE= silenus]

That’s really a pretty good way to get autographs when the people are tired or really don’t want to. Give them something unusual from their past to sign. I got George R. R. Martin to not only sign a few books for me, but got about 20 minutes of conversation out of him when I offered up my first edition of Armageddon Rag instead of a Fire and Ice volume.
[/QUOTE]

Along those lines…

Parts of the movie Tears Of The Sun were filmed on the USS Truman when I was stationed on it. We found out that they were coming onboard, but we had to go back to Norfolk to pick them up (we were out in the western part of the Atlantic, a day or two away from port). When we got back, I managed to get off the ship for a couple of hours, and went home to get my vinyl copy of Bruce Willi’s The Return Of Bruno LP.

Once we got back underway, the cast set up some tables in the hanger bay and spent about six hours signing autographs and talking to the crew. All of them, including Willis, were very friendly about it, even though it was obviously cutting into their rehearsing/relaxing time. I wasn’t able to stand in line that long, but one of the PA office chiefs handed Willis the album to sign, and said he laughed when he saw it. It’s signed “A relic! - Bruce Willis” Too bad he misheard my name, 'cause he addressed it to “John”.

[QUOTE=Beware of Doug]
Yes, it’s far, far better to have 51 people think you’re a prick than to have 50 think you’re swell if there’s the chance that even one of them might make money off you.

Not enough :rolleyes:'s in the world.
[/QUOTE]

Well, in case you can’t read, most of the people who have been mentioned as not signing autographs aren’t seen as a bunch of pricks simply BECAUSE they’re upfront and honest at the beginning about signing autographs.

Ohh, I forgot, these people owe you something because you personally got them that big contract or on that prime-time show.

[QUOTE=Annie-Xmas]
No. He wanted to get some window cards with his name on them. :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

Uhh, why the rolleyes? Did you think I really thought you had sex with Christopher Reeve? I apologize for trying to make a joke at the SDMB, where all but the most juvenile, slapstick, and recycled humor is frowned upon.

[QUOTE=FriarTed]
So did King then commission Chapman to kill Lennon or did he switch places with Chapman, kill Lennon, then switch back & leave Chapman to be the fall guy?

:smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that a discarded plot line from the Gunslinger series?