cfl names--what a rip-off?

Hey, I need a Canadian football fan to answer this one:

When did one of the CFL teams named “Roughriders” change its nickname? I always thought it was so unique that in such a small league, two teams had the same nickname (though, if I recall, one was “Rough Riders” and one was “Roughriders.”

Anyway, when did they give in to common sense? CFL isn’t too widely available down here in the states anymore (at least not where I live), but I used to love to watch this different brand of football when it was commonly on ESPN years ago. Maybe it still is on ESPN, but I haven’t seen it in years.

They didn’t change their name, exactly. The Ottawa Rough Riders folded some time in the '90s, but the city was granted a new franchise a couple of years ago, and they decided on a new name. I don’t know why, though. The CFL isn’t on ESPN anymore – it’s not on American TV at all, as far as I know.

IIRC, the reason the new Ottawa team went with the name Renegades rather than reviving the Rough Riders is that the rights to the name are still owned by someone connected to the old team (or at least unconnected to the new one).

Just gotta’ chime in here:

OSKEE-WEE-WEE,
OSKEE-WAA-WAA,
HOLY MACKANAW!
TIGERS, EAT 'EM RAW!!!

…you may now continue your intelligent discussion…

Oh yeah, PS: ARGOS SUCK!