Changes in subscription pricing here at The Straight Dope

No, but we could have sponsors of current forums. So people would be flocking to “Thudlow Boink MPSIMS” or “Thudlow Boink’s Great Debates” similar to a sponsored sports arena. There would be a bidding process.

Maybe have it in a person’s profile, rather than each time they post?

There already is.

I thought my awesome post-count was my recognition for being a regular contributor? Only 80 more to go and I hit 30,000!

Either awesome, or pathetically without a life…

Or maybe just bad at math.

Check your post count, and do the addition again.

The ‘Member/Charter Member’ distinction is backwards. It’s obvious that the ‘Charter Members’ highly value the title as a Title that sets them apart from the ‘Members’. What people value more, you charge more for. Not give them a discount.

Nope. Not required. Unless you really want to.

Where is the information about paid subscriptions, i don’t have any 'subscribe" button on my menus, is it only for Americans?

Not at all; it’s available to everyone.

To access, please click on the “UserCP” hyperlink in the blue band at the top of every SDMB page. Then click on “Paid Subscriptions” in the list on the left hand side.

Click on the subscription you like/qualify for. Only current Charter Members can renew their subscriptions at Charter Member rates. “Member” is the subscription category for everyone else.

Friend of Cecil is a one time donation device; I am currently working on ways to reward people for making such a donation, it’s a work in progress.

Choose your category accordingly and follow the prompts.

You will be asked in big links if you want to use your PayPal account to pay for this transaction. You may do that if you like.

You will be asked in a tiny bit of hard to find text if you want to use your credit card to pay for this transaction. You can do that if you prefer.

Click on the link of your choice. Follow the prompts.

(NOTE: It may be confusing to some folks as the processing mechanism is through the PayPal network. But that does not mean you can’t use your credit card if you prefer, though of course you will be encouraged to use a PayPal account.)

Hope this helps.

Not sure if this is the right place to suggest this, but I always buy a two year membership. It would be nice if I could also pay for a custom title for two years.

I expect those of us who renewed lately (like last week maybe?) are still good?

If it includes a t-shirt that says “I contributed to the fight against ignorance and all I got was this lousy t-shirt” Yes ------- yes I do. :wink:

Same here.

Actually, I am really bad at math…

Serves me right for not using a calculator.

It’s not a matter of “value”, it’s a matter of having been there at the time they started first charging to post. Keeping it long-term meant paying for the privilege even when it was no longer required. If you didn’t sustain your subscription you lost the title.

Restoring the title is what should cost money (which is reflected in the given pricing).

Yes thanks.

So, Milhouse saw the elephant twice and rode it once, right?

I think many people would let the title lapse if they charged more for it. I understand what you’re saying, but in the end (at least as of right now) we’re paying to get rid of the ads. The Charter title was given out to people that have been a paid member since this all started and it’s cheaper as incentive to re-up each year, on time.

If this were, say, a yacht club, that might work better.

How about a scholarship fund to buy memberships for others?

Set up a thread where you set the conditions. “Whoever posts the funniest pun wins a Membership - Guests only”. Add a poll, whoever gets the most votes after a week wins the membership.

Or maybe, for $100, you get to change somebody else’s Custom Title for a week. $200 if it has to be tasteful.

Regards,
Shodan

blob hints at an issue: It might be nice if the ability to pay were more out front, where people can see it. It would help with how humans work: out of sight, out of mind and all that. It would also let new people see it.

I also would like to recommend a smaller donation category–basically, the smallest you can get away with and still make money after fees and stuff. Allowing a small amount will make it more of an impulse purchase. You have some extra change, and you see that donation button, and so you figure “why not” and throw it in.

I know I always find it easier to throw in a dollar or two than to try and go through than to pay something like $10. I know that 10 $1 donations aren’t as good as a single $10 donation, but I think the increase in uptake might make up for that.

And if I’m reminded by a simple but unobtrusive button or thin banner at the top of the page, I’d be more likely to remember and drop a couple bucks when I have it to spare. It’s how every other site I contribute to has worked.

Ask and ye shall receive. Done.

Yes. You can give more if you like (see “Friend of Cecil”) but all paid memberships prior to the price change are in effect for the full length of the subscription at the old price.