Changing careers, from science to activism

Dear you et al.,

I’m finishing a Master’s in molecular biology. I just did my thesis project at Harvard/MGH, graduating from a University in Sweden.

I’ve realized that I do not want to do a PhD. I’ve been bitten by the social justice bug and have discovered an economic reform that would virtually wipe out poverty and vastly curtail environmental degradation. It’s called land value taxation and I’d like to spend as much time as possible promoting it with video, infographics, and other means.

The problem is that I have to support myself. Science takes complete devotion. You need to do it full time and love it if you’re going to be a scientist. I would like to contribute to science, yes, but I care very little about academic research if it won’t have a direct impact on the lives of disadvantaged people. I also want to avoid causing suffering to animals used in research. I could work as a lab tech, but would only do so part time.

Therefore, I’m wondering how I can support myself and spend as much time as possible promoting this cause that stands to make a huge difference in the world.

I’m open to ideas within and completely unrelated to science. I’m hoping you all can help me brainstorm. I would however like to find a consistent job, nothing that requires me to constantly be in search of work; that’s stressful and takes away from time that I could spend on activism.

1. What jobs are available to someone with a Master’s in MB?
  2. What can I do for part time work?
  3. What can I do for full time work?
  4. What job would allow me to spend a lot of time on my computer doing things related to promoting the reform?
  5. What’s available in Chicago?
    Thank you all for your help!

It’s not exactly a lucrative career, but I used to work for a national reference lab, doing clinical tests. Someone with a Master’s would easily qualify. I bring it up, because many of these places offer flexible schedules to cover odd hours, which leaves you with a lot of time off to pursue other interests. I worked for many years a 7 on/7 off schedule, where you work 7 days in a row, then get 7 days off. I had a lot of friends that worked there purely to support their rock climbing/skiing/hiking habits.

However, this:

seems odd. Are you asking for a job that lets you do non-work stuff on work time? I don’t think you’ll have much luck with that.

Be sure to read about Henry George and his single tax. Also how his experimental community failed.

I had a HS teacher who was very enthusiastic about the single land tax and told us all about it.