Changing default scanner -- annoying Windows Vista question

I’m trying to use a scanner for the first time, but even though I downloaded the software, it keeps trying to use my webcam as the default scanner and not the scanner. There is absolutely no option in the scanner software for changing the scanner input; it will only use the default scanner, which is apparently my webcam. After reading through the Help section, I found this confusing statement: “You can change default scanner and add new remote one using context menu.” No link, no explanation what a context menu is.

Does this mean I can change my default scanner through Windows Vista? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks in advance for any replies. This is most vexing.

I think more specifics might help. What scanner do you have, and what software came with it?

Other than that, all I can tell you is to try messing with the Scanners and Cameras in the Control Panel.

ETA: And context menu usually means the right-click menu.

click start - control panel - devices and printers (don’t remember what it is in Vista - may have to google it). Look for your device in one of the lists. Rt. click. There should be an option that says ‘make this the default scanner’ - or something similar. This isn’t an option in W7 so I’m not sure about Vista.

If that doesn’t work, go to device manager (rt click my computer -> properties -> device manager) and delete the other device. Reboot. It will then detect the “new” device (web cam) and install the driver. The second device should now be the default.

edit - if it asks do you want to delete the drivers and not just the device - say no.

Thank you both very much for the suggestions. I didn’t know that there was an entire Scanners and Cameras section on the Control Panel.

Anyway, after fiddling around for hours and downloading drivers from the manufacturer’s website, my computer still doesn’t see the scanner. Ugh. I give up. I guess I’ll just have to buy a new photo scanner.

If you’re going to go to that length, at least try uninstalling the device. It shouldn’t actually delete anything and it will force the OS to recognize the second device as the default. Also, the OS should reinstall the camera dev drvr once you reboot.

If you are still unsure, then in device manage, rt click on the device and just say disable. It probably won’t have the same effect, but should force the software to recognize the scanner. It may require a reboot - not sure with vista.

edit: of course to use the camera, you will have to re-enable it (and possibly reboot)