Changing turn signal bulbs in a 1996 Mustang

Ok, I realize this isn’t www.cartlak.com, but I’m not having any luck there (or anywhere else), so I figured I’d come here, because there always seems to be somebody who knows something about whatever is asked.

I have a 1996 Ford Mustang that I need to change the rear turn signal bulbs on. I just went outside, thinking it’d be a quick two-minute job. Nothing with me and cars is ever a qucik two-minute job.

It looks like I have to remove the entire taillight assembly on this thing just to change the turn signal bulb. Is that correct, or am I just as stupid as I look?

If that truly is the case, I need to go buy all the other bulbs and replace them while it’s off. Otherwise, I know my tailight would go out right after I replaced the turn signal.

I’ve never replaced one on a 1996 Mustang, but on 99% of the cars I’ve worked on, you get to the taillight assembly through the trunk. You might have to move some carpet or unscrew/pop off a couple plastic retainers for the interior trim, but it’s usually quite easy.

I haven’t worked on the particular year you’ve mentioned, but yes, since aesthetics is a Big Thing with carmakers nowadays the screws are on the inside.

open the trunk/hatch and move the carpeting inside.
There are usually plastic “wingnuts” you can remove with your hands.
Outside, the entire lens assembly will come off and you access the separate sockets from there.

Personally I would only replace what is needed, because it isn’t that big of a job.

Sometimes the socket that the bulb is in turns a quarter-turn and pulls out. Seems like Fords have the wingnuts Lolababy mentioned, and GMs have the removable socket, but I’ve only seen one example of each.

Like Stan Doubt suggested, the way to a Mustang’s tail-light assembly is through the trunk.

On my '99 Mustang GT, the part of the fuzzy artificial plasti-board lining that covers both tail-light assemblies is secured with a pair of giant plastic pseudo-screws. Get yoursef a flatheaded screwdriver and give those babies about a half twist one way or the other and the whole panel should pop right off.

You can then access the worky bitz that control the lights.

If you want to make fiddling with the spinning gubbins on your car a habit rather than an experiment, I recommend you supplement your owner’s guide with a Chilton or Haynes manual for the appropriate year/model.