Charley Pride dies of COVID

Truly a groundbreaker in country music, Charley Pride has passed away at age 86 of coronavirus complications. Rest in peace.

That’s two Country stars killed by covid. Joe Diffie died March 29. Joe was 61. That was early in the pandemic.

Covid killed John Prine too. He’s considered folk or Americana? Prine was 73.

Now Covid kills Charlie Pride. Age 86. I only know him for his big hit,Kiss an Angel Good Morning. Friends have told me that he was very good in concerts.

RIP Charlie.

Loved his voice. RIP

That’s a pity. He was a great and groundbreaking singer. Hope he’s upstairs and kissing good morning.

I remember when you couldn’t turn on an AM radio without hearing The Most Beautiful Girl in the World.

Wrong Charlie

:woman_facepalming: Crap! That explains why no one brought it up yet…

Here’s my thread about seeing him in concert a few years ago. I’m glad I did.

Very sad. The old country singers are some of my favorite artists, and Charley Pride was near the top. A lot of country songs back in the 50s were cross-over hits. My favorite Pride song is Mississippi Cotton Pickin’ Delta Town, in which Charley was describing where he grew up.

I see that they screwed up the lyrics a bit on the video.

One of my favorites.

Wow, that’s a candidate for the “Songs you didn’t know were covers” thread. I’ve always thought “Is Anybody Going To San Antone” was a Doug Sahm original.

This is also my favorite! I first heard it when David Dondero covered it at a concert. The original was a little more upbeat than I was expecting.

Yup, mine too.

A few years ago, my wife bought some random bootleg CDs off of the back of a motorcycle in Shenzhen, China. Imagine my surprise when one of them turned out to be Charley Pride’s greatest hits! I heard “Kiss an Angel Good Morning” and “Crystal Chandeliers” many times on CJWW growing up.

Since I was a kid I loved his music. Possibly the second or third country performer I could name. I know that he made most of his money from 70’s style country, but damn he was amazing when he did straight country. He did an entire album of Hank Williams songs, but his live versions of Kaw Liga are my favorites. He really gets to show off.

I’m not sure who the steel player is on that recording, but he deserves an honorable mention, too.

Thankya, Charley! You were amazing!

I’d make a remark about kissing an angel good morning, but I’m too bummed right now.

Great cover!