Cheese/pasta bake - help me brainstorm a few specifics?

I bought “oven-ready” lasagna sheets, with the idea of making some kind of simple baked pasta dish … but I need my fellow Dopers to help me work out a few details.

I’m not looking to make lasagna, so much as I am trying to re-create eating baked noodles with heaps of gooey, stringy cheese all over them. So no meat sauce, and I’m hoping to skip any bechamel sauces unless they’re necessary.

Can I simply layer the noodles with shredded mozzarella, and bake those two things together? Cheese on top, of course, to provide a protective layer over the noodles and to get that browned Maillard goodness.
Would briefly cooking the noodles for, like, a minute, help the texture? (I’m aware that tomato sauce etc. bring a lot of moisture to lasagna that’s expected to be absorbed by the pasta.)

What about cooked, buttere egg noodles … could I plop a handful of shredded cheese on those and just bake that?

Sure. I think I might use something other than flat egg noodles though, but I’m not sure what.

I can’t tell if you’re just after mac & cheese without having to make a sauce or wouldn’t mind throwing a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce in there.

If you have a good large non-stick pan, you could melt a tablespoon or two of butter in it, throw in the cooked noodles, toss them around in the butter, then throw cheese on top and just do a bunch of flipping. It’d be faster than baking.

You could even let it sit still for a minute or two after it’s all mixy cheesy, and let the cheese on the bottom burn a little bit. That would be a great time to hit the top with a little hint of tomato sauce.

I think the oven ready noodles will absorb a lot of liquid. If it were me I’d add a pint of chicken or beef stock to give it some moisture, otherwise it’s going to be pretty arid.

If you want ooey-gooey you’re going to have to do more than plop the cheese on the noodles. The cheese will seize up as soon as it starts to cool. I know you don’t want to make a bechemal, but anybody who knows how to spell it knows that they need it. :smiley:

Aye; the key to lasagna is the ricotta cheese. Without it, the mozzarella is just going to re-solidify.

By the way: YOU CANNOT MAKE LASAGNA WITH COTTAGE CHEESE! THAT IS AN ABOMINATION AND SHOULD NEVER BE DONE!

(Sorry for yelling; just really wanted to make sure I made my point.)

I make lasagna with oven-ready noodles all the time; they’re fine. They absorb moisture from the ricotta cheese and the tomato sauce (and veggies) without my having to add extra water.

Have you thought of doing a noodle/cheese layer dish that has an egg mixture poured over it and baked? With a final layer of shredded cheese on top you’d get ooey-gooey cheese through out. Any minute now I’m going to remember what that type of dish is called and I gave my Joy of Cooking to my son so…I wanted you to have the idea in case you or another ‘Doper can remember the name or a recipe.

Still would have to compensate for the liquid oven ready flat noodles need. As I remember it’s a significant amount, so the broth idea is a good one.

Have you tried going to the web site of the noodle maker to see if they offer cheese and noodle recipes?

I’ll be back if I remember the name of the noodle/egg dish. Right after I get back from looking for a Joy of Cooking at thrift shops.

You’re going to need something to hydrate the pasta, and cheese alone won’t do that - so you could soak or parboil the pasta first. Also, for the cheesy sauce interlayer, consider using a tub of cheese spread mixed with actual cheese - a lot of cheese spreads are essentially cheese sauce that has been allowed to set.

You’ll be glad to know I can’t abide cottage cheese.

Problems arise because I can’t stand ricotta, either.

I want ooooey-gooey cheese, people! Not sad, chalky, tasteless filler.

I’m willing to make a small portion and eat it pretty much on the spot. It doesn’t need to “hold” for texture purposes.

This is my question - are you trying to get baked mac & cheese, but with flat noodles instead of “typical” mac & cheese noodles?

The noodles need moisture. And I think sodium citrate could be your friend.

I asked Google about meatless, sauceless lasagna and found this:

Leave out the veggies and you should be golden.

My mom, who never really learned how to cook, did. Not bad, and even better as cold leftovers.

There’s cheese in lasagne?

UPDATE: I currently have the following available:

• Eggs
  • Sour cream
  • Butter

Can I fold any of those into the noodle/cheese mix?

Cheese available is shredded mozzarella, shaved Parmesan, and two lone slices of provolone.

I do not, however, have milk.

Aside: what purpose do eggs serve in all the “cheesy-noodle-bake” recipes I’ve been looking up?
They’re never omitted - and the vegan versions go to great lengths to recreate them - so they must play some vital role.
Can anyone enlighten me?

Protein.
As a binder.

Egg yolks are an emulsifier.

Have any olive oil?

I’d hazard a guess that you could whip up a good aglio e olio, mix a bit of cheese throughout, a good sprinkle on top and it would come out peachy.

Try a half bake/broil.

Aglio e olio il forno? Fuggedaboutit!

You’d use the butter anyway. I wouldn’t use eggs. Eggs get mixed into the ricotta in regular lasagna so it will hold together.

Mozzarella I wouldn’t use except on top if you were baking, it’ll just make a stringy mess if mixed in.

If you use the parmesan and provolone, a little sour cream could work. Just a little at a time, taste as you go.

Bruh, make a lasagna alfredo. Maybe pop some spinach and ground italian sausage in there…

I’m confused. How do you “taste as you go” for something that’s put into the oven?