Cheesiest...Videos...Ever

The Cure - “The Lovecats” circa 1983

Robert Smith acts generally silly and serenades a scared-looking kitten, while a couple of people in cat costumes march around and pretend to play trumpets. Meanwhile, a trio of stuffed* cats “dance” on top of the piano in time to the music. It’s really awful. (Robert looks so dreamy though. :))

*I’m not talking about plush toys. These are taxidermist-stuffed, real live dead cats. Creeeepy.

I don’t think those ZZ Top or Van Halen videos can count. I’m pretty sure that falls into the “intentional cheese” category. The “Hot for Teacher” video is actually pretty good comedy, and I don’t think that was an accident.

On the other hand, Starship’s “We Built This City” is a 30-car pileup. My GOD. Pop Up Video said it was filmed on a shoestring budget and it shows. There’s one line, “Looking for America, crawling through your schools” that shows Abe Lincoln from the Lincoln Memorial getting out of his marble chair and shouting the “crawling through your schools” line. Awful awful awful.

I don’t remember the name of the song, but it was sung by Latoya Jackson. Had to be the most cheesiest tripe I ever seen.

Both Eddit Murphy music videos were corny. Though I still respect him as a comedian. Delirious and Raw!

Ya, Starship’s video was cheesy also, but I remember liking that song alot…

I wanna dance with you baby by Whitney Houston was pretty bad.

Just about every glam rock video ever made.

Dammit, bleach, I was thinking of “Love is a Battlefield”! :slight_smile:

That having been said, I’ll nominate “Voices Carry” by 'Til Tuesday. The cheese factor may not be as high as in some of the others, but you gotta admit that it’s up there.

Oh, & in the (hopefully) intentional cheese category: “Mickey” by Toni Basil. :smiley:

Phillip Michael Thomas did a video at the height of his Miami Vice fame. It might be the worst thing I’ve ever seen.

that creepy pseudo-(I hope)-Castrato singing guy; and Godley & Creme’s (sp?) “Cry” with the morphing faces

Looking at the “Beavis and Butthead” guide is helpful…

Intentional or not, here’s a list. I feel I’m being generous:

“Physical” (Olivia Newton John)
“Rico Suave” (Gerardo)
“Spirit In The Sky” (Dr. And The Medics)
“Spirit In The Sky” (Norman Greenbaum) promo film… whoo-boy.
“Just Like Paradise” (David Lee Roth) rocket surfboard?
“Groove Is In The Heart” (Deee-Lite) am I alone in this?
all Loverboy videos
“Blood Makes Noise” (Suzanne Vega)
“Demolition Man” (Grace Jones)
“D’ur D’ur D’etre Bebe” (Jordy) that kid’ll need therapy
“Halloween” (Helloween)
“Welcome to My Nightmare” (Alice Cooper)
“Somebody’s Watching Me” (Rockwell)

Thats up to season 3. I’ll stop

I understand Billy Squier didn’t find it so funny in the end. Here’s a guy with a reputation for being a respected rock guitarist. He does this video where he’s rolling around in girly looking bedsheets and stuff and his career nose dives overnight! I heard somewhere he sued the director claiming it damaged his career.

TyrC!

I thought Meat Loafs “anything for love” video was really cheesy. It seemed like it would never end, I don’t remember if it was long, or just painful to watch.

I’m probably going to be flamed for this one, but how about Safety Dance by Men Without Hats?

For all the heavy metal fans on the board: anyone remember the video for Accept’s “Balls To The Wall”?

Typical cheesy metal video that I believe was shown on Beavis And Butthead. What really makes it special is a crowd of German headbangers lined up facing a brick wall, all of them headbanging furiously to the song. However, their movements and the particular lighting of the scene makes it seem as if they’re actually copulating with the wall.

Makes me hysterical with laughter every time.

IIRC, Beavis and Butthead really liked that video of “Balls to the Wall”.

nuff’ said

No mentions of Judas Priest videos yet?

Hot Rockin’ and Breakin’ the Law both come to mind. Hot Rockin’ has the band on a universal machine shudder–in Breakin’ the Law, they rob a bank using cardboard guitars…

Haha, how could I forget Rico Suave. I don’t agree with the Deelite video. I think the video appropriate for the kind of song it is. Same goes for the Safety Dance…we can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don’t dance and if they don’t dance
Well they’re are no friends of mine…

Cum on Feel The Noize by Quiet Riot

ANYTHING by Motley Crue.

Beavis and Butthead were true, enlightened critics of their favorite art, the music video. My favorite B&B commentary came during Journey’s “Separate Ways”, where the entire band is having seizures that are timed to the music:

“Is this a joke?”

Was just watching “One Hit Wonders” on VH-1 earlier today, and they resurrected the memory of one of the all time cheese-fests:

HeartBeat by Don Johnson

::shudder::

I like the end where Udo rides the wrecking ball into the wall, looking like a muppet the whole way.

I kept tuning in and out, but Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush’s Don’t Give Up seemed real cheesy. From what I could tell, they stand there the whole time hugging each other nonstop. Creepy.

I never get tired of seeing that fat metal head unenthusiastically lip synch “I Wanna Rock” to start off Twisted Sister’s video.

It’s really uncomfortable watching Hall and Oates do choreography to Method of Modern Love

And I’ve never even head of Donnie Iris before VH1 Classic, but Do You Compute? is very goofy. Wow! Computers! Aren’t they neat?

Cameo’s “Word Up.” The “iron-clad jockstrap” the lead singer is wearing gets maximum cheese points all by itself.