Cherry Bombed! Conviction in 1963 Killings

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - In the final trial stemming from one of the most notorious crimes of the civil rights era, a jury convicted former Ku Klux Klansman Bobby Frank Cherry of first-degree murder Wednesday in a church bombing that killed four black girls in 1963. The 71-year-old Cherry faces an automatic sentence of life in prison. Asked by the judge if he had any comment, Cherry stood, pointed at prosecutors and said: “This whole bunch lied all the way through this thing.”

—Glad they finally nailed the SOB, although way too late.

What, no statement from the defense lawyer that they’ll be filing an appeal?

I agree that it was high time that they were finally able to nail this guy.

It was good news to wake up to.

“Outside the club, the Cherry Bomb…”

Sorry, that was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. The reference is to the John Mellencamp song “Cherry Bomb”.

I think it’s a very good thing that they finally were able to bring justice to bear on this guy, even though it was too late.

This morning, a lady I know very well was sobbing. I found out that her sister was one of the four girls killed.

I guess I didn’t know her that well after all.

What makes me sick about this is that that damn guy got to live his whole freakin’ life up to now free as a bird. Now, that he is in his later days, he has access to free medical services and housing the rest of his pathetic life.

what would be fitting would be for the prison admin to daily mind-fuck this bastard by doing something like this: “Mornin’ Scum. Heres your breakfast. Oh, by the way, your wife is dead. And you ain’t goin to the services!” Next day, “Mornin’ Scum. Heres your breakfast. Oh, by the way, your wife REALLY died this time!” and on, and on, and on…

what kind of special asshole blows up little kids? :frowning:

Too depressed for a funny sig~

I wish we could put a cheery bomb up his behind and watch the fireworks like he did that fateful morning in '63.

What makes me sick about this is that that damn guy got to live his whole freakin’ life up to now free as a bird. Now, that he is in his later days, he has access to free medical services and housing the rest of his pathetic life.

what would be fitting would be for the prison admin to daily mind-fuck this bastard by doing something like this: “Mornin’ Scum. Heres your breakfast. Oh, by the way, your wife is dead. And you ain’t goin to the services!” Next day, “Mornin’ Scum. Heres your breakfast. Oh, by the way, your wife REALLY died this time!” and on, and on, and on…

what kind of special asshole blows up little kids? :frowning:

Too depressed for a funny sig~

It’s never too late.

Dear Denise, Cynthia, Addie Mae and Carole:
Well, I don’t really know what to say. Congratulations? We finally got them all? I know we’ll never get them all - the KKK was really big and there were probably people involved that will never stand trial. Chambliss, Blanton, Cherry - who knows how many more? Some other guy was going to trial and died. The rest are just really good at keeping their mouths shut.

We remember you every year on the anniversary of your deaths. Lots of years it’s just a mention at the end of the local news with the anchor looking appropriately somber. I guess the trial brought it forward for all the people that didn’t have to live through it, though. People actually seem affected by it again. And that’s a good thing - lest we forget. . .

I hope you are resting easy now. Justice finally rolled down like water, huh?

M.

I read that in cases like this, there’ll be an automatic appeal. The DA’s statement indicated that they were confident they could handle it fairly easy.

I wonder what it’ll be like for him in prison when his fellow inmates, especially the black ones, learn that he’s a former Klansman convicted for murdering four little girls…?

“This is an easy man to prosecute, because he is the human equivalent of a cockroach,” Johnson said.

NOTE that is the defendent’s OWN LAWYER that said that quote.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/05/21/church.bombing.trial/index.html
I’m glad he’ll rot in prison as well as burn in hell. What a waste of skin and oxygen.

Zette

More than likely he will be treated like a hero and protected by the Aryan Brotherhood.

Actually, there’s a trivial matter which ticked me off and nearly had me be the one who started this Pit Rant. When the verdict was pronounced, Cherry was wearing an American flag pin. I’ve never used language like this even in the Pit, but there’s a first time for everything.

How fucking dare he?!! I’m a naturalized American citizen and, while I’m far from a super patriot, IMHO, that a racist scumbag like him should wear the flag is desecrating it. He killed to defend the very ideals this country was founded on, and he did so by skulking, planting a bomb, and killing little girls. Yes, Cherry, your world was changing, and all of a sudden the only people you could count on being lower than your sorry ass might be allowed to rise higher. Deal with it! And not by killing them. You are evidence in favor of the quote (which I don’t wholly believe, BTW) “Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels.”

I’m not awake yet, so this is far from a full rant, but I do feel much better now.

CJ
(Where’s that tea?)

“I wish we could put a cheery bomb up his behind . . .”

[wonderful mental image of bomb with smiley-face painted on it]

Are you sure you meant “defend”?

I knew I shouldn’t have posted before having a cup of tea (OK, so the naturalization didn’t take completely) :wink: ! What I think I meant to say was “destroy” instead of “defend”.

Thanks for the catch!
CJ

No prob, cjh!

Dammit, Eve! How dare you make me laugh in the Pit!