Chicago Dope Fest - Business Thread

I’ll be there.

In the past I’ve introduced myself with my real name and added “I’m zoid on the board”.

Maybe we need some of those “Hello My Name Is” stickers, but with TWO entries: board name, and real Face-To-Face name. I know I never answer to my SDMB name in real life!

Damn. I just discovered that the non-profit organization that I work with as treasurer has a major grant proposal due Monday. I won’t be able to make it. Sorry. Real sorry.

I’ve used my real name first and then board name. They’re not too different.

So are we definitely on for tomorrow?

I’m confirmed.
See ya tomorrow.

So how do we recognize each other?

Ok, everyone, I got it. When you arrive, make a point to conspicuously look around. Anyone else who is already there can then make an ambiguous head gesture toward the new arrival. The new arrival awkwardly approaches the table and while half making the turn toward the bathroom, casually asks if it is the Cecil party. One grunt means no, two means yes.

Me too. The only thing that could stop me is if Interpol snags me in the next twelve hours. Come to think of it, that’s not all that unlikely. But I’ll do my best.

I’ll be the short dorky guy in the jeans, brown shirt, and brown cubs cap.

I’ll be in blue shirt, khaki shorts, and carrying a copy of the Chicago Reader with me.

Not sure I can make it lads. My son is still sleeping!

Where is everyone? There’s only three of us here.

I’m at home. Sleeping kid. Sorry I missed it and I live so close to!

Well that was a bust for me :mad:
Google maps said it would take 25 min - it took 90. stop and go the entire way.
So I got there an hour late, spent the next 45 minutes looking for a parking spot while trying not to run down about a million pedestrians and finally gave up. Just got home :frowning:

Well there were only three of us that showed, and the rest of youse guys all missed a great time! When the owner of the joint found out that we were there from The Straight Dope, he told us what a big fan he is, and he comped us all our drinks. Then he sent out a bunch of free food for us. Lobster, prime rib, the works. Then he had the waitresses give us all lap dances.

After that, Michael Jordon, Mike Ditka, and Ron Santo stopped by. They’re all big Dope fans, too, and begged to be allowed to sit with us. What a sweet bunch of guys! Ditka gave us all free iPads and gift certificates to his restaurant. Ronnie bought a bottle of Dom Perignon for each of us, and led us in a round of “Take Me Out To The Ball Game.” Boy, does he have some great stories about Harry Carey!

By then, we were all too tipsy to drive home, so Michael Jordon called up Rahm Emanuel and had him send some city helicopters to take us each home. After an awesome sight-seeing tour of the Loop and the skyline, of course.

Hope you can all make the next one!

Glad you had a good time.
Next time can we not do Clark Street on a Saturday?

Sorry I missed it, a zombie Ron Santo would have been so appropriate for a Dope meet up!

Sorry. The downpours diluted my enthusiasm for outdoor seating.