Chick-fil-A hiring practices regarding race.

In almost every national fast food restuarant franchise in my area the staffing appears to be at least 50% minority for both managers and workers except for the local Chick-fil-A restaurant. It’s rare to see a black face behind the counter and even if there is one it’s usually one out of 8 or 10 other young, white workers on site.

I’m curious as to whether this observed ratio holds true for Chick-fil-A units in other areas. Does it?

The guy who owns Chick-fil-a, Truet Cathy, is a Christian Fundamentalist…I had to do a report on Chick-fil-a for a computer app. class, and IIRC, he said (after firing the owner of a Chick-fil-a franchise, after finding out that the owner happened to be a Muslim), that “he didn’t have the right to judge other men, but God did.” I don’t know how this descriminatory attitude manages to stand up legally, but that’s what I’ve read.

The local CFA is mostly staffed by mixed heritage black-caucasians.

Not in my area.

The Chick-Fil-A in the mall today looked pretty mixed, crew-wise.

The one time I ate at Chick-Fil-A the chicken I got was impressively diverse, with white meat, dark meat and gristle all together in harmony.

Growing up in KY I saw a pretty diverse group working at the CFA at the mall. Next time I’m at the mall here I’ll pop my head in.

I eat at way too many fast food restaurants way too often.

Here are my unofficial findings for my area:

Burger King, Taco Bell and McDonalds: almost all black and latino employees including managers

Chik Fil A: lots of black and latino employees but more white people. Haven’t noticed who are the managers

I worked at a Chick-fil-A as a kid.

There were mostly white kids at the one there, but only because we all went to the same church, and had been hired as friends of each other, able to vouch for one another.

The one closest to wear I work now has primarily Hispanic workers. Chick-fil-A treats their employees very kindly, and I doubt there is much validation to the claim Orange Skinner is making. The restaurant is based on family values and places a GREAT deal of value on following the law, and procedures regarding food handling and worker breaks/lunches, etc.

As well, they do hand out scholarships to their workers. I would feel more than comfortable letting one of my kids work there.

It would kind of depend on the neighborhood of the store, wouldn’t it? Restaurants located in a part of town that’s mostly white residents would tend to have mostly white employees, I’d think.

How diverse is the area where this Chick-fil-a is located?

Chick-Fil-a is closed on Sunday.

Prime ‘ast-food worker’ hours for employed high school kids.

If i’m looking to work 20 hours a week, and I can’t pull an eight hour shift on Sunday, i’ll be hittin’ up McD’s for a job soon.

Same thing for second-job workers. That no late nights, no Sundays sends a lot of folks elsewhere to work.

In the primarily white neighborhood here, the racial composition of the local Chick-Fil-A is as follows:
Hispanic

The local Chick Fil-A’s employees are almost 100% Hispanic, which is pretty typical for fast food outlets in Austin.

That was one of the things that made me scratch my head when I read Eric Schlosser’s ridiculously overrated “Fast Food Nation”- he goes on and on about the poor teenagers who are worked to death at such places. Now, when I was a teen (I’m 42 now) I had MANY peers who worked at fast food restaurants. And PERHAPS that’s the case in other locales. But here in Texas, frankly, I can’t remember the last time I saw a teenager (let alone a white teenager) working at a fast food joint. Whether you go to McDonald’s, Burger King, Chick Fil-A or any other fast food outlet, you’ll probably be served by Hispanics, Asians, or blacks. If you’re served by a white person, it will probably be a senior citizens or someone with Down’s Syndrome.

The impression I get is that white high school and college students (and there are LOADS of those in Austin) look with disdain on fast food jobs, and would rather work almost anywhere else. We’ll see if the weak economy forces them to lower their standards and take jobs they clearly feel are beneath them.

Warning off topic post…

What is the deal with the post office? Must you be a minority and a female to work there???