Chinese foot binding and worse

In a past column Cecil pontificated that in order of cruelest practices bestowed on women:

1. Clitoredectomy (female circumcision)
  2. Chinese foot binding
  3. Victorian corsets

Now I won’t argue that any of these practices are above reproach, but I suggest throwing a top contender into the ring. How about those african tribes whose females strech their necks by inserting rings one after another between their shoulders and heads. I suggest that this may be the most destructive in that without the rings the women will die, having the weight of there heads breaking their necks and suffocating them. Most amazingly this practice is still ongoing and flourishing.

The clitoredectomy is harsh, but not chronically painful and incapacitating. The corsets were applied willingly by the somewhat mature women. The footbinding and neck streching occur to the very young who have no understanding of its reasons. So my point is that Cecils rating is disagreeable.

The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is
yours to draw…

Omniscient; BAG

<<The clitoredectomy is harsh, but not chronically painful and incapacitating>>

You call the inability to orgasm not incapacitating? What a dis to women’s sexuality and its value!

Carpe Diem! or at least seize something!

Well you tell me what you think. Not being able to walk, and survive independantly or not have orgasms? If you find this a difficult choice your insane. Not to mention the fact that a estimated 50% of women in the US can’t have orgasms at all when normal! I bet if you look at global stats, the ratio is much lower, considering the treatment of women in less civilized societies.

The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is
yours to draw…

Omniscient; BAG

well, I cant do much about foot binding or corset wearing, or circumcision, but I sure can try to help that 50% of women :stuck_out_tongue:

Omni, you’re not the first to think of that African tribe with the rings on their necks. It’s the Padaung (a.k.a. the Kayan), and they were mentioned in a follow-up column by Cecil. Someone had suggested them to take at least the third position in Cecil’s list.

original column: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/981023.html
follow-up column: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/990129.html

Personally, I think it’s moot to discuss just which of these (or other) pratices is the worst. The all suck (to say the very least), and should be abolished ASAP.

Holger

Omni, sorry, made myself misunderstood. Just felt your choice of words regarding the clitordectomy (sp??) was poor. Not making a prioritized list-just an observation on that particular item.

Carpe Diem! or at least seize something!

actually, there’s more involved than just the loss of orgasm. female genital mulitation (aka female circumcision) involves the removal of some or all external gentials (clitoris, labia…) and in some cases includes infibulation (basically, they sew you up, leaving a small hole for urination and menstruation – your stitches are ripped out when your husband wants sex or to give birth, but then you’re sewn up again). complications include: severe pain and risk of hemorrhage, leading to shock and death; infections (inc. abscesses, ulcers, septicemia, tetanus, gangrene); urine retention and obstruction of menstrual flow – which have complications of their own; prolonged and obstructed labor. not to mention the psychological and sexual effects…

pretty nasty all around…

‘Incredible’: I noticed that follow up shortly after I posted this. Great minds think alike i guess :slight_smile:

Needless to say their all brutal, but it kinda interesting to try and rank them.

yours to draw…

Omniscient; BAG

My God, ekg, I knew of the practice of infibulation, but had no idea that the women were sewn up again after the initial un-stitching. I thought it was only done to prevent loss of virginity. How horrifying. Do you know of any places I could find more information on this?

Try this address:http://www.fgm.org/
Truly horrifying. In one area where genital mutilation is done, there’s a saying among women, about childbirth: “The first one always dies.” I found that profoundly chilling.

Wrong continent guys, the Paduang are from Asia. South East asia to be exact. Anyway i hear that the Paduang women also consider it a thing of beauty to have their necks stretched like that. And generally only a foolish foreigner would consider removing their rings :wink:

Sorry, Doobieous, but the Paduang women are sometimes punished by having the rings removed. That is the punishment for such crimes as adultery in that culture.

As for clitorectomy, sometimes it involves the removal of lots of things, sometimes only the hood or the glans of the clitoris. I used to have a girlfriend who had had one at birth (in SE Asia), and can tell you that only the glans were gone. The labia, major and minor, were still there. Nothing was sewn up. It just depends on where it is done.

Yes, they’re all cruel and obscene practices, and should all be stopped. We can work toward that, and we can hope, and we can keep the debate going to make the world more aware of the practices.

Corsets, bound feet, clitorectomy, and the neck rings. Is there any sort of equivalent done to men? (Other than the african tribes that ritualize circumcision at puberty. That’s painful, but not as disfiguring as the other things being discussed.)

Oh, and what’s that story by Mauppassant about corsets? Any one else read it?

[[Corsets, bound feet, clitorectomy, and the neck rings. Is there any sort of equivalent done to men? (Other than the african tribes that ritualize circumcision at puberty. That’s painful, but not as disfiguring as the other things being discussed.)]]

I think it’s important to mention that many women in these cultures support these practices, and perform them on their daughters. It may be too simplistic to imply that they are perpetrated on women by men. I have seen an interesting, though not really equivalent, practice common among Cuban men. When I worked in an STD clinic, we noticed that the majority of Cuban men visiting the clinic had a pebble or shell inserted under the skin up toward the base of the penis. One patient told me it was for aesthetics and another told me it improved the sexual satisfaction of female partners. I can’t remember the Spanish name they gave for this.
Jill

I think it’s important to mention that many women in these cultures support these
practices, and perform them on their daughters. It may be too simplistic to imply that
they are perpetrated on women by men.
Good point. The woman I knew who had had that done to her never talked about it much, but I know that she was very angry with her mother about it, rather than her father. It’s not evidence of much, but it is suggestive.

The cuban information is fascinating. Anyone know any more about this? For that matter, anyone know any tall, goodlooking Cuban fellows of about 40 years of age that I could have? It’s past my birthday, but better late than never…

As far as the Padaung women, I remember reading somewhere that their neck muscles are so weak from disuse that if their neck rings were removed, their heads would flop over.