Chinese readers, can you find a year identifier in this newspaper excerpt?

Here’s a photo from a (probably Taiwanese) newspaper. We want to know how old is the newspaper, but it was cut off the bottom of the page so we can’t see the date line.

The center story has a month and day (February 6) but we don’t see a numeric year. We thought maybe there would be some other year indicator, like maybe they name the years in some way. Or if there is any other clue.

Here’s the photo.

You’re sure it’s Taiwanese? It’s simplified characters. I don’t read well enough to help with your question.

No I’m not sure it’s from Taiwan, the people who gave it to us are from Taiwan so I just assumed. This piece of newspaper was glued to the bottom of a box insert to strengthen the structure. Probably it was purchased by them in that condition.

Poring over it right now. It’s definitely from the Cold War era, though, since it mentions “West Germany.” And it’s simplified characters, so perhaps from mainland China.

Polish Foreign Minister visits West Germany

Xinhua News Agency on February 6th. Both foreign ministers agree to hold the CSCE summit this year. … Polish Foreign Minister Krzysztof Skubysevsky arrived here yesterday…

Can you narrow the date from that? Must be 1989 I think.

This reminds me of coctail umbrellas. As a kid, I somehow discovered that the thick paper ring used to open/close the umbrella was made from Chinese newspapers–I used to enjoy peeling them apart and looking at the characters. (The last time I checked one, a few years ago, they still contain the newspaper.)

Yes, I think so. Disappointing a bit, we were hoping it was older.

In the days before the internet, it was always fun (actually, still is) to get shipments padded with newspapers from the state/country of origin. It was like opening a short term time capsule (nobody uses that day’s paper for padding). At my old family home, the carpet in my room was just laid directly on the floor without padding (I still don’t like the feel of thick padded carpet) and for some reason we laid down newspaper instead. I used to pull up a corner of the carpet and lay down down new newpapers every few years so I could “discover” them later.

A previous owner of one house I owned had placed newspapers under the linoleum in the bedroom. Perfectly preserved, flat, white, not a trace of yellowing or mildew. They were from the early 1940s and I really enjoyed reading them.

Dennis

I once received a package from Ebay packed with the newspaper of some Florida retirement community or something similar. Among the interesting stuff was–I swear–a local story about someone murdered with a mounted swordfish.