Christmas is approaching! (Gift buying)

Heh, heh. In being obnoxious and haughty or being holiday-efficient?

I could offer classes in both I think. :stuck_out_tongue:

And Khadaji, seriously, as far as shopping for Christmas all year round, I agree with you that the best part about it is no big outlay of money at one time for presents. As far as the tree goes, I had my first non-silver tinsel real tree last year. She was a doozy! Eight feet tall and just fabulous. I hadn’t had a real tree since I’ve been on my own, ever. My tinsel tree finally fell completely apart last year so I took a chance and went to a real tree. Hope I can find one as nice this year.

Creaky, I love a real tree, but being single and a procrastinator, I don’t decorate. (I would be excited about putting up the ornaments, but being a procrastinator, it would take me forever to take them down.) I do kind of miss doing it though.

I’ve done all my xmas shopping already.

/Smug

Actually it’s pretty easy as I’m only getting gifts for my friend and his family and that’s because I’m staying with them over xmas/new year and it’s my way of saying thank you. I don’t really do xmas.

I’m not doing Christmas presents this year. Maybe a small token for a couple people, but I’m shelling out money to visit friends and family 1400 miles away twice this holiday season, so that’s their gift from me.

My grandmother is physically unable to let Christmas go without getting me something, so I’m going to ask for contribution to the “Lionne’s Passport Renewal Account”. Because of a name change, I have to pay for a whole new one.

As for decorating, I’ll absolutely put up some lights, but no tree or much of anything else. Lights are enough in my small apartment.

At last year’s Christmas get-together with the inlaws, a couple of them were going around talking to everyone about how out of control our gift giving had become. There are 6 siblings and their spouses, their father and mother, plus a few “kids” (nephew/nieces), all of whom are now in college or older. Pretty much everyone agreed that we’re all adults, we can buy our own things, so gifts among the siblings and their spouses should be little token things, preferably handmade or sentimental, maybe $5-10 each to make/buy. Gifts to their parents or to the “kids” can be whatever you think appropriate.

Now to re-emphasize the new plan at this year’s Thanksgiving and hope everyone still agrees…

This means that it’s pretty easy this year; I only have to deal with gifts for my husband, my mom, her boyfriend, my sister and her husband. We’re big on exchanging lists for gift ideas so at least that will be easy.

I WIN THIS YEAR!!! Yay! Everyone’s sucky financial situation :frowning: has a wee bit of an up-side. For the first time, ever, we’ve gotten all of the family to agree that none will be buying gifts for anyone except the nieces/nephews, etc (basically, the kids.) :slight_smile:

Except for the Yankee swap at my mom’s house, which I’m almost through shopping for.

Well, it’s a bit easier this year. I have been setting aside money for months for Christmas, so it will be green this year (as in, no credit cards!)

For Ivylad’s side of the family, we’ve pulled names for the other adult children so we spend no more than $50 on each person. I’m also making salt and sugar scrubs for my SILs and MIL.

My daughter has already come up with a list…I’ll be getting her something Twilight-themed.

For my son, we’re all chipping in to get a car stereo installed in his car.

I have no idea what to get Ivylad.

I’ve already told everyone I want gift cards to clothing stores this year. (I’ve lost 30 lbs and cleaned out my closet.) My folks have told us not to get them anything, just bring food for dinner, and I have to let my sister know not to buy us anything, just for the kids.

I already made a list and purchased some gifts about a month or two ago. I’m really on top of it this year.

We’ve been drawing names at my house the last few years - everyone usually gets one present.

This year, however, everyone gets an airplane ticket to NYC. The extended family is having Xmas there. I negotiated 9 airfares over one weekend, whew!

My brother & sisters and I don’t exchange gifts, unless you count the occasional thing someone gets for Dad and/or his lady friend.