Chrysler's Lifetime Waranty - worth buying?

If you bought a new Chrysler vehicle on or after July 26, 2007, most of them came with their new lifetime powertrain warranty. If you bought before then, you can buy the lifetime warranty for $750 or so. (Price jumps up to nearly $2000 in about a month.)

The question is: Is it worth it? Specifically, I’ve got a 2006 Ram 1500 truck with their 5.7 liter MDS Hemi engine. I’m guessing that if a Hemi breaks, it will be expensive as there’s a bunch of exotic engineering in there for the multiple displacement system. But, if someone follows the maintenance schedules, how likely is that engine to have problems? Similarly, how about the automatic transmission and differential?

I realize one limiting factor is that it’s a powertrain warranty, so it won’t cover things like the ABS system, climate control, suspension or engine “accessories” like the battery or alternator.

I don’t know if Chrysler’s engineering has improved significantly in 10 years, but I really wish that 1996 Grand Caravan I drove had an unlimited powertrain warranty, for the two transmission rebuilds it needed by 50,000 miles.

How long do you plan to own the vehicle? If you are going to be using it as a work truck or just a regular commuter? In my experience, Chryslers have some issues with transmissions sometimes very early on in their vehicle life. It’s probably a good investment especially at the $750 price tag.

I saw a Life-time warrenty like that in the paper, for Hyundai I think. The catch was that all maintence had to be done by that dealer. :dubious: :rolleyes:

So, the difference in cost between a dealer oil change and your trusted local mechanic oil change is what, $25? Let us say 3 a year, and ten year ownership. That’s $750 right there, and we have air filters, brakes, and what not. Maybe$2000 extra?

Does the Chrysler warrenty have a loophole like that?

If not, then get it, assuming you are going to drive that truck for 10 years+.

I would have to the the exact details to offer an opinion, but I wanted to comment on the above.
The Chrysler Hemi is one of the most basic engines out there. That exotic engineering is at least 50 years old. Not zackly state of the art stuff, despite what their ads say.

Got a cite for that? To the best of my knowledge this would put Hyundai in conflict with US Federal law.
Read your own car’s warranty. You can have routine maintenance done anywhere. The car company didn’t put that in your owner’s manual cause they are nice guys, the feds made them do it.

It was an ad in the San Jose Mercury news, auto section. Last Friday, and maybe todays, but I didn;t look.

Does the warranty go with the car, or does it terminate when you sell?

Having had the “pleasure” of experiencing a complete engine main bearing failure resulting in a complete engine REPLACEMENT (no rebuilt engines available at the time as it was “too new”) at 55k (at the time 5k beyond the warranty period) on my 1999 Dodge Durango, I would say your prospective $750 is probably worth it. That little incident was a $6k repair, of which Chrysler paid $1.2k.

Of course, that pitiful response from Chrysler Corporation is the reason why Ford Motor Company got the check for the last $40k SUV I bought…

I have an '02 Dodge Neon that has been utterly reliable, I know that’s atypical for that particular model, but I can’t argue with the end results

almost 100,000 original miles and still starts up on the first turn of the key, and runs strong, and I don’t exactly baby the car, however I DO get the oil changed every 3K without fail, and the tires rotated every 6K

Hemispherical heads? Old tech, no question. Computer-controlled disabling of cylinders to maximize fuel economy? Not so old.

Other than the GM Northstar engines that had a “limp home” mode on 4 cylinders, it seems that the market didn’t see much in the way of a viable production multi-displacement engine until MY 2004 or so. The valving that makes it work is a bit finicky - oil heavier than 5w-20 is known to disable it. I already get free oil changes for as long as I own it from the dealer, so I at least don’t have to worry about the kids at Iffy Lube pouring in the wrong stuff.

It’s a Chrysler warranty, so service is available at any Chrysler dealer, as opposed to private service contracts that you might get suckered into that are only valid at that dealer, or some pre-defined small coalition of shops.

It is not transferrable to anyone. In that regard, the question I need to find an answer to is “Do I plan to drive this truck until it falls apart?” I’ve put on 18,000 miles in nine months, so the answer to that probably will be “Yes!”

But does the warranty cover the electronics for the life of the engine?