Chuck (10/27): "Chuck vs Tom Sawyer"

There was an earlier episode where they refer (several times) to a super-awesome new top-secret surveillance prototype as a “GLG-20” which is what Aykroyd and Chase were training to become in Spies Like Us.

And the nerd married to Nicole Ritchie was ‘Mark Ratner’, the name of the nerd in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” who wanted Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Another joke I wouldn’t have gotten if I hadn’t read it online: the name of the terrorist was Farrokh Bulsara- Freddie Mercury’s real name. (Which, if you think about it, is rather appropriate. “I’m the queen of Canada!” “I thought Rush was the Queen of Canada.”)

Strahovski in Nerd Herd outfit…
I’ll be in mah bunk.

Sidenote…anyone else currently wishing they’d not saved her life at the end of last season?

To my mind, she’s crossed the line from ‘loving sister, concerned about her brilliant brother not doing anything with his life’ to ‘shrill controlling shrew, who won’t be happy until Chuck’s exactly how she wants him, whether he likes it or not’.

Really? I don’t see that at all. She doesn’t know he’s a super-spy; as far as she can tell he’s stuck in a low paying retail job, so is only showing sisterly concern.

Yeah, but half the cast works there so it will be difficult to get away from that. At least they changed the hot dog shop into a smoothie place. I suppose if push comes to shove they could have Chuck open up his own store and hire a bunch of his old coworkers.

Watch the first scene with her from this episode, when Chuck’s hurrying into work, late because he was out until 4 AM, saving the world, and gives her the excuse he was playing video games with Morgan.

The problem, from the POV of someone really concerned with him, isn’t that he was playing video games, it’s that he was playing video games until 4AM when he had to work at 9AM. But her reaction was very mild, even amused, concern that he was out until 4AM…and venomous contempt that what he was doing out that late was playing a video game.

Venomous contempt? I saw mild disappointment, perhaps a tiny bit of frustration.

To his sister Ellie, Chuck is stuck in adolescent mode. His excuse has always been that he didn’t finish Stanford. But anyone bright enough to get three-fourths of the way through Stanford is way overqualified to work in the Nerd Herd at the Buy More. He could have joined a startup or even built his own website. So even if he weren’t secretly a government spy, he’d still be a slacker.

What about Anna in the grass skirt? Unfortunately, they didn’t show enough of her- I mean, they didn’t give her enough screen time.

I enjoyed the efficiency expert’s note on his voice recorder- “Lewd use of a musical montage.”

And another thing. It would be one thing if being an underachieving member of the Nerd Herd were all he wanted. But when he thought that he was going to get out of being the Intersect, he said that he had bigger goals. So he’s not moving forward with his life. And now that he has a Stanford degree, he has even less reason to stay at the Nerd Herd.

What does it say about society that Chuck is looked down upon for not being more successful, yet nobody says anything about Sarah working at Weinerlicious or Orange Orange? Sarah is obviously a bright woman who could do much better. Yet, if Ellie was Sarah’s sister, I suspect Ellie would be pushing her to find a more successful boyfriend. (But not to become more successful herself) I doubt Ellie would ever tell Chuck to find a more successful girlfriend.

But Ellie knows that Chuck was smart enough for Stanford. And given that he went to Stanford and she’s a doctor, I think it’s a high-achieving family.

Huh? Are we watching the same show?

Ellie is a doctor. I’m sure she’d be pushing a hypothetical sister who had earlier had dreams of not slacking just as hard as she’s pushing Chuck.

Yes, a bit. But Ellie is sure that Chuck can do much better in work, while she doesn’t really know Sarah. But Ellie could easily start in on Sarah in a nice way, if the producers wanted to push it that way. The difference is that Chuck is close family, and she’s not poking her nose in much to push him toward his goals.

I think there is an underlying motive to Ellie that is being missed, and that is that Chuck had planned on moving out, leaving Ellie and Capt. Awesome the place to themselves. They had probably started making plans and warming up to the idea that it would be their own place.
But now, Chuck is staying, indefinitely, and this might not be setting well with her/them, now that the idea of having their (her and CA) own place has taken root.