Chuck Berry's last laugh

In his column What songs beat out “Johnny B. Goode” (#8) on the Billboard charts? (15-Sep-1995), the master says

I think the definitive last laugh was the inclusion of “Johnny B. Goode”, by Chuck Berry, on the copper record included on the Voyager spacecraft. In the first Star Trek movie (Star Trek, the motionless picture) the “V-Ger” probe should have revealed its identity by playing “Johnny B. Goode”. Furthermore, I think the master was remiss in not mentioning this in his column.

V’ger was the remnant of Voyager VI, which has not been launched as of yet. Who knows, maybe we’ll put Chumbawumba on it. :smiley:

Judges 14:9 - So [Samson] scraped the honey into his hands and went on, eating as he went. When he came to his father and mother, he gave some to them and they ate it; but he did not tell them that he had scraped the honey out of the body of the lion.

I have to admit I always thought Chuck Barry did pretty well (though I heard all his stuff much later than it first came out). But how galling it must have been for him to have one of his best songs unable to climb as high as a song with the refrain: “Oo, ee, oo ah ah …” :wink:

“…ding dang, walla-walla bing bang…”

But “My Ding-a-Ling” hit number #1, right? I think he figured out what the public wanted… Songs containing the word “ding”.

the only reason chuck berry didn’t have more #1 hits, is the same reason that Pat Boone did. because chuck was the wrong color at the wrong time. playing ‘jungle’ music on white radio was not going to happen too frequently. but it is hilariously funny that the song that cracked the #1 spot was ‘ding-a-ling’.

Huh huh huh…he said “ding.”

BTW, what exactly WAS that song "My Ding-a-Ling about anyway?
I can’t remember actually hearing the song in its entirety --I remember seeing a kid on the Simpsons perform it at the school talent show (really funny, before Principal Skinner yanked him off in mid-chorus)
ANYway…
according to the lyrics I remember, the singer goes:
“My ding-a-ling, My ding-a-ling, I want you to play with my ding-a-ling”
Well, is he actually referring to his, uh…
ding-a-ling??

I think the implied naughtiness helped it’s popularity. The lyrics can be found at http://www.gold.com.br/~jafol/ChuckBer.htm

The complete version is on The London Chuck Berry Sessions. In the introduction to the song, Chuck says, “This is a song about sex, and there’s nothing wrong with sex.”

“You can observe a lot just by watching.” – Yogi Berra

::sigh::

They don’t write lyrics like they used to.

What happened to Sh-Boom, Rama-lang-a-Ding Dong, Boogedy-Shoo, Beep-bop-A-loola and the rest?

And what happened to the teen death songs? Doesn’t anybody die any more?

Sig? We don’t need no stinkin’ sig!

Actually, Pearl Jam just recently re-did the teen death song Last Kiss. It was quite a hit for a short while, but bewildered many kids I talked to, who weren’t used to hearing angst sung about without pathos.