Cigarette Strip means safe cigarettes?

I opened up a pack of cigarettes and noticed it said along the band:

** “Nothing about this cigarette, packaging, or color should be interpreted to mean safer.”**:smack: Duh!

Seriously, “Safer”? I didn’t know they were safe to begin with…

Put it like this in order to be Richer one must be Rich.

Sounds more like a smart-alec comeback to me.

If the tobacco industry really felt that the color wasn’t what was making people buy them then they wouldn’t have had a problem getting rid of the flashy packaging. But they know thats not the case, because if the packaging isn’t colored they won’t look appealing to the children and to people who buy them. So they put this instead, assuring the devoted smoker that it doesn’t mean safer. Thats the way to go on the war on cancer and heart disease!! Smell that BS?!

They are mearly using the “Safe” strip to subside away from the fact that the colors are flashy and might reduce tobacco sales if removed ultimately saving one life for every $10,000 they won’t get. It isn’t that it may make people think that the cigarette is safer because of the color, everyone knows their BS for your health, its the fact that the color is a marketing strategy, right down to the little bright orange speckled tip that distinguishes them from anything else you know. The only thing safe about lights even is the strength of the tobacco (No tobacco is safe, we know that), and the fact that they are usually lighter colored with typically an all white cigarette.

The tobacco industry lobbiest must’ve fought long and hard to get this on the package considering what they were proposing to have put…

What do you think they should do (If anything) about stopping smoking? Or perhaps what it should say, I mean seriously someones gotta come up with something a little more convincing than that, at least if you try… :dubious:

Yet they still put “The term light does not indicate a safer cigarette” in small words, knowing damn well that people, no matter what still assume the lighter is safer, when its not. So why the hell do they call it a light, lighter flavor, oh okay… They know damn well that BS isn’t true. Y just the other day my friend who smokes lights didn’t want reds because he claimed they were worse for you.

It’s still the same thing, period. Just different packaging, and lighter terms, giving people the choice, “Do I want a light cigarettes or perhaps as they call them try a Cowboy killer.’ Na I think I’m happy with a menthol instead.”

As a smoker I hear this alot and honestly its true. Packaging, flavor, taste are what characterizes a traditional choice of a cigarette. That removable strip and warning doesn’t do a damn thing, besides letting you know you have the “Real deal”.

Perhaps were doomed to our ignorance, when they tell us its bad we still do so. But is it really our fault? Afterall they tell us Marijuana is bad, and “protect” us from its so called harmful effects so much its not even allowed. I’m must be dumb or I’m not getting something here?

Lets watch a video to refresh our minds whos the real bad guys shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZvHiiWFbBU

This was before the pebbles were fruity!:stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure where you are, but in the U.S., as of late 2010, the tobacco companies are no longer allowed to label cigarettes with “Lights”, “Ultra-Lights”, etc. because it might deceive people into thinking that they’re less harmful.

There used to be little notices that said “Lights does not mean a safer cigarette”.

Now, the cigarettes are color coded. I’ve never heard someone ask for a pack of Marlboro Golds (well, 20 years ago I did, but that meant a completely different thing back then), they still ask for Marlboro Lights, although there is no such labeling any more.

I guess the tobacco companies realized that people know that the Marlboro Gold pack is still the same cigarette as Marlboro Lights used to be and so now they label them with “Gold coloring on the pack doesn’t mean a safer cigarette”.

Does “Lucky Strike” still mean “Fine Tobacco”?

I think fine is supposed to indicate the cigarette being of a certain desired thickness. I never smoked lucky strikes myself but back in the day they were famous. I do remember though buying candy cigarettes in packs when I was a kid that looked like lucky strikes. The name alone though sounds so appealing, to this day my boss a former smoker says he still feels persuaded at times to go into the store and ask for a pack of lucky strikes. Those were his words, him not even being aware most convenience stores don’t even carry the brand anymore, but he still remembers those lucky strikes.

I burning your cigarette!

“Fine tobacco doesn’t mean a safer cigarette.”

L.S./M.F.T.

They’re clearly telling you that the cigarettes don’t belong to Morley Safer.