Cites in APA Style

My wife is earning her Master’s in psychology, and all papers she writes must conform to APA (American Psychological Association) style. The question is, when writing several sentences or paragraphs about a research study published in a journal, how many times must the authors of the article be cited within the body of the paper? After every sentence that uses information from the article? Once per paragraph? It looks too choppy and hard to read if you keep repeating the same cite over and over, but some of her profs are, shall we say, stuck in what Freud referred to as the anal stage of personality development. (We couldn’t find the answer in the latest version of the APA Style Book.)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Are you talking about something like this?

In a study from a team at USC, we see that analness increases as tenure increases, with a correlation of .83. The authors also correlated high anality with increased Stupid Rules (.38), increased Endless Yammering (.45), and a decrease in Teaching Quality (-.53). Their results show that giving tenure is a bad idea, because of all the ill effects of someone not having to work anymore. (GMRyujin, 2004)

I have always been taught to cite at the end of the block, like I did above. However, given the anality of the profs in question, she may just want to ask them.

Here’s a sample from a paper I did for one of my classes, it may be a better example.

Existing studies have focused primarily on the parental point of view, with one notable exception being a 2001 study by Eva Beth Harkness, a professional nanny working as a researcher. Harkness looked at the personal values of a nanny versus the values of the parents and found that the job satisfaction of a professional nanny is tied closely with the match between that nanny’s values and those of the parents (Harkness, 2001).

I got a 98 on the paper, I must’ve done something right. :smiley:

And the thing with Psych papers is…how it reads isn’t nearly as important as what it’s saying and the format. If she continues on this path, she’ll run into some journal articles that are good research, but are close to unreadable.