City/Town Puzzler

One day I noticed something unusual about the city of Albany. Immediately I thought of another city, Santa Monica, which had the same trait. I thought to myself “This must be a common occurrence.” But I was stumped when I tried to think of a third city or town to add to the group. Months had gone by and I was visiting my sister in Atlanta. I noticed a town on a map called “Dahlonega” and I had my third member. I thought I had a fourth when I saw Kodiak on a map, but I think it may only be the name of an island and not of a township.

So my list stands at:

Albany
Santa Monica
Dahlonega

First, what is unusual about these cities?

And second, can you add to the list?

Hell, I tried for a bit to add to the list, but I want to get the answer down.

Albany, NY
Santa Monica, CA
Dahlonega, GA

The last two letters in the city name are the post office abreviation for the state it’s in.

Kind of cheating since I live in Nebraska, but

Valentine, NE
Wayne, NE

Alaska has lots; here’s perhaps the best well-known:

Kodiak, AK

After a quick glance through the atlas index:

Albia, IA
Catahoula, LA
Shiloh, OH
Harbor, OR
Alliston, ON

Whoops, on re-reading the OP more closely, I see that I should confirm that Kodiak is legit. But look at any map of alaska and you will see tons more.

Bright Star, Arkansas
Cedar, Arkansas

Might be easier to figure out which states probably DON’T have any cities or towns that fit this category.

Tennessee – TN
West Virginia – WV
New Hampshire – NH
New Jersey – NJ
Florida – FL

And that’s just for starters.

Congratulations Who_me?

Here is a list of the postal abbreviations if it helps:

AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY

I think there is a town in Delaware called -----side. (I cheated and peeked at an atlas once - but I don’t consider atlas use cheating anymore.)

Don’t forget Montpeliervt, VT