Clarity is speech and writing questions

Over the years, I have made a few choices in how I phrase things.

For example, when giving or reading aloud directions, if the person asks me a question, and the answer is an affirmative, I tend to refrain from saying “Right” and instead say “Correct”, so as to not confuse my answer the the direction of right (vs left)

Or (and this occurs less frequently), In speech or writing that contains numbers or any sort of measurable amount of something, I avoid saying “too” what that concept is needed and instead say “also” or “as well”

Anyone have any other examples of this?

Is this just a common courtesy, or is there a (literary?) name for this?

You mean clarity in speech and writing questions, which even corrected sounds a little strange?

A classic example is in this video, starting at 3:55.

Yes, I suppose I should have mentioned that.

As far as I know there is no grammatical rule that says I must change my phrasing, and while I find these sentence constructions less than desirable, I believe they are still perfectly valid grammatically.

Why not “clarity” or “accuracy?” Doesn’t always have to be complicated, does it?

Nonambiguity?

(and you might want to correct your syntax problems, while you’re at it)

Well, I don’t not entirely disagree.

Eschew obfuscation!

The passive voice is always to be avoided.

Cheeky responders are you.

If the the question asked is the correct answer … wouldn’t “Yes” suffice

*Simplex sigillum veri. *

So the question that you are asking is whether there is a phrase or preferably a word which in common usage succintly represents the choice which you make when in conversation you take pains to inform your respondent of the information they require without risking ambiguity?

Dunno.

The use of the term “correct” instead of “yes” annoys me. Aside from being so artificial, it connotes a hierarchical relationship with the questioner as the student and the one saying “correct” representing a position of superiority, such as a teacher.

Stop doing it.

Should I turn left? “Yes.”
I should turn left, right? “Turn left.”
I should turn left instead of right, right? “Turn left.”

Incompetence in asking a question should not be further kludged by ambiguity or stiltedness in answering it.

I often say “correct” in driving situations, simply because that’s the way the logic runs:

My default response for any such affirmative answer, in everyday conversation, is “right.” However, on the road, this leads to confusion (“I turn left up here?” “Right.”) so I make the mental jump to the nearest equivalent, which is “correct.” Not “yes.”

“Yes,” is an answer. “Right” and “Correct” are states, so they are more analagous.

“I graded your test; number 5 is correct, number 6 is incorrect.”
“I graded your test; number 5 is right, number 6 is wrong.”
“I graded your test; number 5 is yes, number 6 is no.” :confused:

Multiple choice.

Essay.

True/False.