Classic Breakfast Club

I don’t think that’s really fair of you guys. It’s not an arrogant “We’re such important artists” thing, it’s just that at every single show they play they absolutely must play their one big hit. Sometimes you want to mix things up a little. You want to play songs you feel like playing.

My contribution to the thread:

Brian: “See, wimminnn…cannot hold they thsmoke. That’ths whut it ee-iz.”

Well, I was the brainy kid in high school, and I didn’t get any nookie by the end. Fairly true to life, I think.

Did Billy Idol really cover “Don’t you Forget About Me”? Because back when Simple Minds’ version first came out everyone and his brother thought it was Billy Idol singing it. I never really understood why people thought that…the production was similar to a Billy Idol song (same producer, I think) but the vocal styles were very different.

Laughing Lagomorph, he actually covered it fairly recently-- within the past few years, I think. It was a new track for his Greatest Hits.

Billy always had an ear for good tunes.

As long as we’re on the subject here, I always wanted to know the punchline to the joke that Bender starts telling to himself when he’s crawling through the rafters. Does anyone know it?

Yet, Creep by Radiohead is near their worst song. The Flaming Lips should never be defined by their novelty hit She Don’t Use Jelly, and if all you know of Fountains of Wayne is their current hit Stacy’s Mom, then you are sadly missing out on some great music. For some time, R.E.M. were only known for a bubble-gum hit called Stand.

You might be avoiding ‘arty crap’, but perhaps you are also missing out on some wonderful stuff. Have you ever considered that groups have a reason for dismissing their one, unrepresentative hit?

Krys92gp: read the thread.

“You got caught, Sport-o.”

I agree that a groups are often sadly misrepresented or short-changed by people’s lack of interest in anything but their hit songs. But my thoughts are, then why did you release it? Stand by all your children- even the crass, obnoxious ones. And if their answer to my above question is a whine about “the record company’s decision,” then they should ask themselves why they chose to write such an uncharacteristically whorish song. The answer to which they know damn well is, to take a shot reaching a broader range of people. Okay, well, if you had a hit, then you did that. So cash the check and shaddap.

Smoke up, Johnny!

Seemed like a good idea at the time? Too perfect to be ignored?

For instance, if I’d written and recorded FoW’s Stacy’s Mom, I’d release it in a heartbeat. It’s a beautifully constructed pop song. But if it’s their only hit, if they become the Dexy’s Midnight Runner’s of the 00’s because of it, I can understand them being pissed off.

I don’t know if they’d share my reasonsing, but I’d feel pissed off because though I’d written a good song, it wasn’t one that truly represented myself artistically. I mean, this is your life here. How would you feel if a big part of your obituary was taken up with descrining something that you only released on a whim?

Moody Bastard, I think you’re reading an awful lot into some bands’ hatred of their one big hit. It’s probably as simple as just being sick of playing and hearing the same goddamned song over and over again.

More obscure line:

Bender: “Hey, Claire… Would you date a guy with Elephantitis of the nuts? Although, I’d imagine you’d have to ride in the back seat, because his nuts would be riding shotgun.”

Some bands get contracted to write songs for movies as well, and are forced to release them dispite not having finished them (or even liking them) see Wierd Science.

And on a side note… i know all you emo and prog rock goons are going to throw your birkenstocks and wolly sweaters at me, but Creep is the only song by radiohead i can remotely stand, and everything else they have done is unlistenable whiney noodling and pot-smoke enhanced crap.

Or maybe it’s just me.

I think instead of classic images from this movie, rather than dialogue.

[ul]
[li]From the dance scene: Andrew’s “air-punching” run; the “unison walk”; Allison’s shaky dance[/li][li]Bender rolling the basketball back to Vernon, and his pimp walk[/li][li]Allison’s make-over reappearance[/li][li]Brian’s satisfaction over the essay[/li][li]Bender’s slightly effeminate replacement of his earring with Claire’s[/li][/ul]

Why was the movie and them called The Breakfast Club?

Kyomara, you may be right. But the types of bands that prompted the discussion are these (the quote is darkhold’s):

“I find bands that hate their one and only hit funny. You know they’ve been churching out arty crap that nobody listens to for years now and think their one mainstream hit has ‘kept them back’ somehow when the truth is nobody wants to listen to it.”

We’re not talking about groups who are simply sick to death of one of their songs, but the ones pretentious enough to think that their contribution to Western culture has been forever stained or some sh*t. Portrait of the Artist as a Precious A-Hole.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6327/punchline.html

There isn’t one.

Well John Hughes wanted some catchy name for his movie based on detention, so he had asked the son of his friend the terminology used by the students at his school (New Trier High School [in Winnetka, Illinois]) and he replied “The Breakfast Club”.

The name seems logical enough because its a meeting of “exclusive members” in the mornings.

I had read about this info here.Its actually an Emilio Estavez fan site.To access the article click on the Interview link on the left and check out “Preimere article on The Breakfast Club”

For the record, Simple Minds didn’t write “Don’t You Forget About Me.”

I forgot my line! :slight_smile:

Bender: I just wanna know how one becomes a janitor because Andrew here is very interested in pursuing a career in the custodial arts.

Thanks for the info. I’ll have to keep an ear out for his version.