classic cars

gatopescado, my sister had a '70 Torino Super Cobra Jet (dad, the mechanic, loved muscle cars) what a fantastic car that was. Big yellow thing, with the hood painted in matte black, shaker hood scoop poking through, attached to a real powerful 429, yowza! I’m dying to find another one of those things, they’re not common at all, least not around here.

When our Datsun roadster got totalled, we ended up spending the insurance money on a '64 Rambler American convertible just like this one. Over the last ten years or so, we’ve redone the interior, the bodywork (there’s no sinking feeling quite like the one you get when you’re looking at a car with the rear fenders cut off, knowing that nothing but your own skill and determination is going to get you out of the hole you’ve just gotten into) and a few other things. Engine’s still untouched, though I did put on a two-barrel carb from a station wagon, and it runs pretty good.

I owned a 67 Mustang for a few years. It was only a I6 200 3 speed but was still a lot of fun to drive around. What I should have done is entered it into shows since NO ONE ever entered I6 hardtops in shows, and I think I only ever saw one other '67 6 in a show. Boy do I miss maving something like that, I’d get another one but I don’t have a place to put it.

My dad’s old Falcon was about a 65 black two door.

Do any cars still come in 2 door?

My husband and I have a 1956 Studebaker Goldenhawk, nice car.

The horror of classic cars we have a 1963 (?) Studebaker Avanti, its a sparkly gold, the interior is also gold, its this vinyl thick and so very tacky. Though I have to say the buttons are cool, theres so many.

I have my very own ‘classic’ a 1974 Camaro, with the shifter on the coloum, a feature that only 500 cars had, currently restoring it.

My husband being a car buff, and having so many of them has more, but those are the most noteable IMO.

We have a '67 big block Mustang 2+2 Fastback with a 390 bored out to a 428 that will KICK ASS when we finally finish it. However, that moment won’t be for a couple months yet.

Oh yeah…20K original miles on it. It is in really good shape, but we’re painting it cuz it has some scratches and a couple minor dings. Restoration is very expensive when you do muscle car stuff.

Currently own a '51 MG-TD and a '79 MGB. Used to own a 57 Chevy wagon. Would kill for a Jag XK120.

I’m not sure it is considered a “classic” but I’ve got a 1950 Plymouth sedan. It was a pretty basic car for its day. There are several pictures of '50 Plymouths here:

http://www.oldplymouths.bigstep.com/generic.jhtml?pid=14

Ours looks most like the Dave Pollack car about half way down the page. Our car is in OK shape and just passed 45,000 miles. I’m collecting parts for the time down the road when I can afford to fix it up right.

Osip, my first car was a 1957 Nash Metropolitan! I loved it!

For the uninitiated, it kinda looks like an upside-down bathtub with wheels, two-tone turquoise and white paint job, “three-on-the-tree” shifter, manual choke, no seatbelts…

Ahhhhhhh… I miss her…

All the boys in high school loved her too! At first I was pissed to have an almost 30 year old car (in 1985), but the way the guys flocked around me when I drove it was great!

I own a '69 Camaro.

I’ve always like GOLDEN HAWKs, and the SILVER HAWK as well. Tell me, what are these cars like to drive? They have ancient drivetrains (by todays standards), and starting them in the winter must be fun (I haven’t driven a car with a carburator in years). To you drive your GH or just keep it for show?

I’ve always like GOLDEN HAWKs, and the SILVER HAWK as well. Tell me, what are these cars like to drive? They have ancient drivetrains (by todays standards), and starting them in the winter must be fun (I haven’t driven a car with a carburator in years). To you drive your GH or just keep it for show?

Well, its not a classic, but it is an antique. I have a 1936 ford sedan. Before that, I had a '40 ford p/u. At one time I owned two '65 falcon Rancheros. Drove one for about 15 yrs.

Ralph124c:

Driving the car is very nice. It rides beautifully, plus it has the get up and go to make people notice it. (Like they don’t anyhow.)
We usually drive it in the late spring summer, he’ll take it to work, or we’ll just go out driving. But we do show it as well, Living just off South Bend, there are quite a few around still. And its nice for the history.

We do start it in the winter, its not as hard as you might think, all of our cars are carburated, and we know no difference. We like em old, we like to work on them ourselves.
We also have a Lark convertable, though I’m not sure of the year, but the motor froze, hes currently working on another one.

Well, I’ll stretch the bit about ‘owning’ a classic car… they’re actually my parent’s cars. But I do get to drive 'em. :wink:

First there’s the '67 Mustang, V8 289 (I think). Built for the Hawai’i market: when we first got it it had no A/C and no heater. (We put in a heater when we moved to the mainland. Still no A/C though…) Definately a driver and not a show car: we’ve fiddled with a lot of the guts.

Then there’s the '66 Corvair Corsa, the show car. (Even have the awards from the previous owners to prove it!) Voom-voom.

I’m not sure which of the two, truthfully, turns the most heads. There aren’t many older Mustangs in the area that I’ve seen, and I have yet to see any other Corvairs, of any make/vintage.

<< Say buddy how can you get this car out of second gear… >>

Err, that last bit should be:

“…have yet to see any other Corvairs, of any make/vintage in this area.

Teach me to type when I’m tired…

My father owns a 1966 Chevelle SS that is semi-rare due to an unusual combination of a 396/375hp engine and a powerglide transmission.

He chose that particular car because he had to have the big engine, and my mom couldn’t drive a 4 speed. He bought it brand new, and 8 years later they brought me home from the hospital in it.

Now, I drive a 1996 Impala SS, and he is always asking to borrow it. :slight_smile:

I had a 1965 Ford Ranchero (basically a Falcon station wagon converted into a pick-up) that the previous owner had shoe horned a 302 into. Man, that car would fly. I let my folks talk me into trading it for a used 1988 Lincoln Continental. The Lincoln’s in the scrapyard, and the lucky bastard who got my Ranchero’s still driving it! :mad:

And SlightDistrurbance, will you adopt me? I looove them old Studies!

My cousin had one-and it was just about the worst bucket of bolts I’ve ever ridden in-if you hit a bump,every part of the car would vibrate! Mustang experts tell me that the early models had a serious flaw-there were not enough welds between the body and the frame, to keep the car tight.That (and the fact that the gas tank was not seperate from the trunk) make these older Mustangs quite dangerous to drive. In any case, the Mustang was just a gussied up Ford FACON, and the fact that it was a pretty car didn’t make up for its many design and manufacturing flaws. Leo Iococca made a ton of money from the Mustang, but it was really a second-rate car.