Clorox safe for teeth Y/N?

[B**]Cougar58 I’m a dentist and I can tell you absolutely that tetracycline turns teeth grey not yellow. Also it only happens when teeth are forming which is why we don’t give it to pregnant ladies or kids. Once your teeth are formed (a teenager) it will no longer stain them. As a general rule yellowing comes from age. OTC bleaching strips work for most people but not everyone. Also some people take months not weeks to bleach. If the OTC doesn’t work for you get bleaching trays and bleach from your dentist it is stronger.

Clorox is a liquid and will wash right out of a tray and therefore won’t be in contact with the teeth for any length of time. This is why comercial dental bleach is a gel so it stays on the tooth. That aside, it is a bad idea to put clorox in your mouth in any large quantity. As you read, we put it in root canals to clean them because it destroys blood and soft tissue but we only use about a drop in the canal and then remove it. Long term affect of clorox on the soft tissue in your mouth is not good. The human body is pretty resiliant so you may not notice any adverse effects right away, e.g. one aplication.

I sincerely hope that the average SDMB poster learned at a young age not to put bleach in their mouth.

I clearly remember as a patient the characteristic smell of sodium hypochlorite(*) during a root canal 30 years ago. I thought to myself: metal drills and chlorine bleach? When the heck are the *&^% lasers coming online?

(*Clorox® being a trademark)

Also, IME bleaching through direct application of this product is hell on the useful lifespan of fabrics, I’d be hesitant about applying it to my person.

yes Clorox is a brand, but it is the one I use. Also we dilute it 50/50 with water.

You mean, “Hmm, my teeth are an unacceptable shade of yellow. Perhaps one of the caustic and astringent chemicals I use for cleaning my house will do the trick”? Yeah, I can honestly say, I’ve never thought that. I prefer healthy teeth to white teeth.

If you google tetracycline teeth and yellow, you will find it discolors grey and yellow.

Correct about the Clorox being liquid and will wash out of the tray. That is why I applied it to the gel E R O in the tray.

24hrs and I am still OK, teeth are noticably white, and very, very shiny - as well as freshest breath ever. I agree with your note that if just a single use, no long term effects.

PS is dentists “bleach” really “bleach”?

Next up:

Sandblasting teeth!

Battery acid on teeth!

Spray paint teeth with high-gloss enamel paint! (White finger nail polish for those hard to back molars…)

Death ray lasers on teeth!
My guess is that ALL of the above will probably be frowned upon by dentists and most sane people.

I brush my teeth with a Dremel tool.

Sorry I was just going with my education and 27 years of experience v. Google.

Dental bleach is carbamide peroxide.

Bad plan. Clorox is for clothes, household cleaning and anuses. Yes, it stings like fire. But it’s a small price to pay for a pooper as fair as an angel’s wing.

I thought cannabis oil was best for this…

Carbamide peroxide is the primary agent in the E R O so it seems that was a contributing factor.

Ps. 36 hrs and still no adverse effects. I can never recall my teeth having this fine of a polished like surface finish, as well as the fresh breathing feeling thru the tiny gaps at the gum line. No noticeable increase in sensation to hit or cold drinks.

It would be interesting you you could do a series of tests on extracted molars.

Pps. Which toothpaste is it that claims to rebuild enamel? Maybe I should try it as a precaution.

I’m going to be totally blunt: WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU DO SUCH A COMPLETELY STUPID THING?!?! ARE YOU TRYING FOR A DARWIN AWARD?!?! GOOD GOD, MAN!!!

There, that feels better. But seriously, DO NOT PUT BLEACH IN YOUR MOUTH!!! NO MATTER HOW YELLOW YOUR TEETH ARE!!! HAVE YOU BEEN SNIFFING RUBBER CEMENT??? WHAT’S NEXT – DYE YOUR HAIR WITH MERCURY???

[sub]Mods, the above is meant to be humorous, not an insult.[/sub]

Bleach keeps you young, or so I’ve been told. Cuz no one who drinks it lives to get old.

You joke, but tooth paint has been around for a while.

Also, isn’t sandblasting and attaching false fronts with laser-like heat/light-guns essentially what dentists are currently doing with bonding and veneers?

essentially yes. The UV light is what cures the cement holding the composite fill or the veneer on.

I’d be more worried about stinky stuff between your front teeth that is noticeable when you push air through there. Don’t you floss?!?

I had the exact same reaction.

Do not use concentrated bleach in your mouth… You may burn yourself… (death, loss of teeth…even cancer !)

You don’t have to use peroxide so strong it bleaches in one go.

You can use it at a dilute form so that over a month the stains are faded… and no risk of burning your gums so bad all your teeth fall out !
There used to be peroxide in the shops, but the burns and cancer risks stopped that,
you have to go to the dentist for whitening now.

I’m sorry – why couldn’t you have your teeth professionally whitened again?