Coke Zero may soon be phased out

I loves me some Coke Zero. Ever since this alternative to Diet Coke (bleeargh) came out I have been a die-hard consumer. Sugar-free and tastes distinctively sort-of-like Coca Cola, but in a way that is thirst-quenching and satisfying.

It is really popular here in Australia, whenever I go to the supermarket there is never enough on the shelves, it disappears faster than any other Coke flavour. So why, why, why are they phasing it out?

A new version is about to start trials here, called “Coke No Sugar” (ugh), and is said to more closely emulate the original Coke’s flavour. I’m not sure that’s what anybody is after, they already like what Coke Zero tastes like, it’s its own thing. Not The Real Thing, more like The Simulated Thing. But that’s okay, we all love it!

On a related note, I am a great fan of Cherry Coke, but it has been tested in these markets also, once in New Zealand in the 90s, and once here in Australia in around 2010, which included Cherry Coke Zero, and I loooooved it. But it just didn’t take, most people rejected it, and it vanished quite quickly both times.

I am one of those people who has a limited diet, and every couple of years it gets more limited as one of my favourite things is permanently taken off the market. sigh

That blows. I really like it too.

Cherry Coke Zero is the only soda I drink; this is terrible news. IMO, Coke Zero tastes better than regular Coke flavors

I did a little research and it looks like this is only happening in Australia at the moment. <phew!>

[

](RIP Coke Zero? New drink Coca-Cola No Sugar launching in Australia - syracuse.com)
Let us know what you think of the new (horribly named) product, GuanoLad. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that your reaction is :smiley: and not :eek:.

I’ll take the hit. salutes

Hey, if it’s bad, I might have an idea. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to tell people I was in the export/import business. I wonder if there’d be a market for US sodas and snacks there? I bet Wise potato chips would sell well.

Coke Zero is a staple of life for me, I feel really bad for you. I don’t know about this new Coke No Sugar thing, but I hope you will at least still have Diet Coke. I think the Diet Coke with Lime is pretty good. And in case of emergency, Diet Pepsi with fresh lemon squeezed into it is actually excellent, in fact I should get that again soon.

It’s the second best, behind Pepsi Max(now called Pepsi Zero Sugar). I would have ranked Coke Zero #1 a year or two ago, but Pepsi Zero Sugar is better than regular Pepsi and regular Coke.

I think Coke Zero is vile.

:o

I know it’s popular. Other people obviously like it.

The only good Coke product is Diet Coke Lime.
:slight_smile:

I was scared for a minute there. I thought they were discontinuing Coke Zero in the U.S. I’m more of a fan of Coke Vanilla Zero and Coke Cherry Zero than of the original Coke Zero, though.

I think traditional diet soda with aspartame is just so deeply ingrained in our culture that it has become the default taste that everyone is used to. This is why sucralose/acesulfame K-based sweeteners are facing an uphill battle (IMO). It’s a shame tho, the new sweeteners are so much better.

There goes a brave man. salutes Godspeed son. Godspeed.

Well that’s the ultimate plan. Australia will be the test zone on whether it’s a good idea or not. I say nay, before it’s even begun.

I bloody love Coke Zero.

I was at a large shopping mall here in the UK last week (Trafford Centre) and they were giving out free mini cans outside John Lewis, so it seems like they’re doing some extra marketing for it here.

Our local supermarket has recently started stocking Vanilla Coke Zero, but I’d love them to stock Raspberry Coke Zero, which I’ve only ever seen in New Zealand so that’s over ten years ago.

I despise Diet Coke but absolutely love Vanilla Coke Zero. Really hope it sticks around.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

So true. Diet Coke is terrible. The only thing worse is regular Diet Pepsi.

Coke Zero in all its varieties is a staple in our house. Diet Coke as an adequate substitute but we prefer Coke Zero.

I’d try Coke Zero but they don’t sell a caffeine-free version around here. So I’m still doing original caffeine-free diet Coke.

It’s really puzzling that in many places (restaurants and such) don’t sell a single soda that is sugar free and caffeine free.

I love Coke Zero. I got nervous when I read the thread title but seems like the US is safe.
If anything I’ve noticed it is getting more popular. More restaurants seem to carry it now and I have started to see a caffeine free version around as well.