Colibri has died

What a shock to see this. He will be missed. Peace to all of his loved ones.

Another of our crowning jewels lost. :broken_heart:

Another loss to the SDMB and we’re all the poorer for it. So sad to hear this…

Can anyone write a biography of Colibri? That would be a good idea for any of our long-time moderators, or even some members. When you have “seen” them online for as many years as I have, you tend to regard them as family. Yet if they die, you realize how little you really know about them. A one-sentence blurb in the memoriam file doesn’t seem like enough.

So sorry to hear this, my condolences to his family and friends.

Take flight, fellow ornithologist.

I am at a loss for words.

That would be nice, if anyone could. As I understand things, he was originally from New York, became a respected ornithologist, had a few degrees to his name, and had been published in various academic journals. But otherwise, I couldn’t say much. A biography from someone who knew him personally, or at least was in regular touch with him, would be most welcome.

I wonder if one of the Smithsonian publications will have an obit eventually?

What awful news. I couldn’t shake the feeling that something bad had happened ever since I started the first thread about his absence. With all the things going on in his life, he was always here.

He was always a cool and level headed mod and an interesting and informative poster. I have already been missing him these last few months, but this news is just … I don’t even have the words in me.

To his friends and family, my condolences. What a terrible loss.

To Colibri, thanks for everything. You helped make this board a great place to hang out and maybe even learn a few things along the way. I see myself pouring a few libations tonight. It’s really great cognac, you’ll like it.

This is terrible news. My condolences to all who knew him well.

I’m shocked upon hearing this devastating news. George was one of the cornerstones of this site, and will be sorely missed.

He held me to task on many occasions. He suffered no fool.
I respected him, though.

R.I.P.

The classic Colibri phrase “You’ve been around here long enough to know…” :fearful:

His equivalent of the traffic cop “I’m letting you off with a warning this time…” :triumph:

Sorry to hear this.

Any thoughts of setting up a Gofundme or whatever for a favorite charity of his (or if needed funeral expenses)?

This is sad news - my thoughts are with those that knew and loved Colibri

I’m so sorry to hear this. RIP colibri.

My condolences to his family!

It’s only one paragraph, but I did find this: Dr. George R. Angehr(1951-2021) – Pangea World

RIP Colibri has earned his wings…On Thanksgiving day

If this happens, I’m totally on board.