College is over

Yep, I finally managed to get through. Took my last final this morning (second semester introductory real analysis, for those who are interested). It was probably an easy final, but I was too tired to do very well at it. But it’s over, and that’s the important part.

I came as close to pulling an all-nighter as I ever have this week, thanks to my other math final (second semester introductory abstract algebra). That’s over too, and that makes me happy.

I suppose that once I’ve had a chance to sleep, I’ll be much more excited. Right now, I’m just glad that I don’t have to take any more tests, or do any more stupid projects. No more apartmentmates who wouldn’t even clean themselves if they could get away with it. No more professors who couldn’t give a lecture that they would be willing to listen to. No more engineers throwing badly constructed sentences at me.

Now, real life begins. For the first time, I’ll actually have a decent amount of money (I’m not poor by anybody’s standards, but I’ve never been able to support myself up to this point). I have a job lined up, a good one (don’t ask me where, though–I have good reasons for not wanting that info on the 'net). I will tell you that it’s a software engineer position. I start June 10th.

Between now and then, I’m going to spend a week at the beach (somewhere on the very south end of North Carolina–I forget the name). Then I’m going to graduate, going through a big ceremony for a little piece of paper. Then I’m going to go back to Ohio for a couple weeks, and see all of my friends back there for what will probably be the last time in a little while. After that, I have about a week to get my apartment set up, and then work starts. I know most of the people I’m going to be working with, and it’s going to be a fun job, I think.

But all that is later. Right now, I’m going to finish my laundry, eat dinner (probably take-out Chinese*), pack my stuff for the beach, and go to bed early. I’ll probably be off the boards for most of the next three weeks, but I’ll be back after that.

I’m not really sad to leave. I got sick of my university (the University of Virginia, and don’t you dare try to put a lowercase ‘u’ in front, or we’ll thumb our noses at you) about a semester ago, and I only have one good friend who won’t be living in northern Virginia (which is where I’m moving, so it works out well). I’ll definitely miss her, but with any luck I’ll get her to be a doper–she’s already one of us, just doesn’t know it yet.

I guess I’m rambling here. I should think of something great to close, but fuck it, I’m tired.

This is where you pull your pants down, dance around, and stuff 8 Gusburgers in your mouth.

But congrats. Graduation is a bittersweet time.