Coming Out of The Closet!

I’ve finally done it…after years of denial, pretending to be interested, going to games, cheering…I now admit it…I HATE SPORTS!
For me, coming out was a liberating experience. I no longer have to pretend an interest in the Superbowl, or try to remember what the heiseman trophy is all about. I don’t care about the “odd looks” I get from neighborsm, friends, etc.
Are there any support groups, organizations, fedral grants., etc. for people like me?

No, but there are lots of attractive women who will consider your lack of interest a major plus …

Don’t worry, gene, I’ve never had much interest in sports, either. I actually went to a (minor-league) baseball game several weeks ago, and that was kinda fun, but I wouldn’t want to do it regularly. I’ve never been coordinated enough to play sports at anything above gym-class level (and even then… well…). Consequently, I’ve never found must interest in watching sports, either.

For the most part, the only sports I watch are Buffalo Bills games (occassionally, just to see how they’re doing) and a few Olympic events. Rochester (NY) doesn’t have any major-league teams (yet; the Rhinos might go to MLS soon), so they’re hardly ever televised.
Powers

Oh, I detest sports–but I’m a woman, does that even count? I get so annoyed when news broadcasts waste time on sports “news.” That isn’t news! One team won,one team lost–just like always! Now, if they played to the death, I might watch. But I can’t picture anything duller than sitting there watching people bounce or hit a ball back and forth, back and forth–what the hell is the appeal!

I’m not much of a sports fan, at least not to the degree that a lot of guys are. I enjoy going to see my favorite teams play - basically any team from Georgia Tech, Atlanta, or Arizona - although I normally just go when I get free tickets (not too hard for me to come by). I don’t usually watch games on TV, unless it something crucial like a bowl game, final game of the World Series, etc. Even then, it’s usually in a social atmosphere. I could care less (er, I mean couldn’t care less) about who’s injured, who’s being traded, anything regarding a player’s contract, etc. My dad is even less of a sports fan that I am.

I also suck at sports. I participate in no team sports and have no intention to again (not even a friendly volleyball game at a picnic). I was always the last person to be picked for teams when I was in elementary and middle school. I do enjoy running, especially since it really doesn’t require a lot of athletic coordination.

I hate sports, too. I can think of no bigger waste of time than to watch six hours of televised football. Who cares??? I always think of the story about the guy who called the radio station on December 7th, 1941, and yelled, “I’m trying to get the score between St. Louis and Chicago! Aren’t you getting anything except all that war stuff???” Oh, well, excuse us, sir. Forgive us for not having our priorities straight. (Now upgrade that same story to about 1962 or so; “We interrupt this broadcast to tell you the Soviet Union has just launched a first strike. You have 30 minutes to live.” “Never mind all that, dammit! What’s the SCORE?”) You get the picture.

friend gene:

i admire your courage in announcing your position to the world. i have never understood the appeal of sports. playing sports i can understand (although i am not athletically gifted) but watching them on tv seems to be a giant waste of time.

I’m not a great fan of sports either. I like football and basketball, but it’s just the highlights and great plays. By the way, I love sports bloopers, the funniest by far, I think.

I don’t have the patience to sit and watch a whole game, let alone remembering players and stats.

I, too, cannot understand why some guys go crazy over sports. I mean it’s fun, sometimes, but it’s not the focus of my life.

¾È ³ç, ÁÖ µ¿ ÀÏ

I also have zero interest in sports. I cannot for the life of me see how people can care so much when one team beats another. You didn’t do anything to help, and you ain’t getting any prize money, so calm down asshole!

People seem less excited about the birth of their children than whether or not their team makes the playoffs or goes to the superbowl.

And unfortunately it’s been my experience that pretty much every woman I’ve met here in South Florida had been a rabid sports fan, making my lack of interest a big minus.

Dave Barry once wrote funny column on sports obsession. He said that if a man became obsessed with the Amtrak corporation and started following all the news about it, talking with his friends every day about Amtrak, sending away for special financial reports on Amtrak, putting up an Amtrak flag in his front lawn, driving hundreds of miles to see Amtrak stations, etc. he would probably be called insane. But if another man did all the same things with the Pittsburgh Steelers corporation, he would be regarded as perfectly normal.

“He said that if a man became obsessed with the Amtrak corporation and started following all the news about it, talking with his friends every day about Amtrak, sending away for special financial reports on Amtrak, putting up an Amtrak flag in his front lawn, driving hundreds of miles to see Amtrak stations, etc. he would probably be called insane.”

That or a railfan, although many spouses of railfans would say that it’s the same thing. (^:

If I play sports it’s fun. If someone I know is playing it’s cool. But otherwise I get bored fast with it. Why should I care, But most guys do. I reckon it is similar to women and soaps. Why do they cry and get upset over fictional goings on?

I shun you all.

Now about those southern Florida women…
<blink><red>Long live Sportscenter!!!</red></blink>

I pretty much with you Gene,
my favorite response to the question ‘did you see the game?’ is
“football, that’s the one with the pointy ball right?”
Of course you can adapt it at will,
Larry

I can’t relate to this thread guys…

My vision of a perfect world is one in which we don’t have to work. We can just go about playing or watching sports…

…well, except maybe for soccer…OK!..I’m outta the closet too!..I hate soccer!!

Contestant #3

Football. Hockey. I hate June-August because there’s no football or hockey. I watch preseason football to get rid of the 8-month jones I have for it. I’ll watch regular season football games with teams I couldn’t care less about, just to watch the game. I’m fanatical. And I’m female.

However, I will add that baseball, although I can watch it, is a bit of a yawn, and the only basketball I watch is college. Other than that, I’m so into sports that it’s almost a sickness.