Comments on having Covid

Huh, I’d never heard of that before. I knew people lost their sense of smell due to congestion but thought it cleared up once they could breathe through their noses again. COVID was the first I ever heard otherwise.

I first tested positive a week ago today, which was also the first day I had symptoms. On Friday I was feeling 80% recovered, but then my cough and fatigue worsened. I’d say it still only ever matched my worst day of the initial period of symptoms, but it was curious, coming after I was feeling so much better. It also made me think about the reports of people taking Paxlovid and relapsing after the 5-day supply ran out. I didn’t take it, but I experienced a similar “relapse” on days 6-7 anyway. Maybe that’s a feature of the virus rather than an effect of the drug? Anyway, I’m reporting all of this to the folks at UCLA conducting the Moderna study (as well as giving them vials of spit to analyze), so hopefully the smart people will crunch the data and continue to improve recommendations for preventive care and treatment.

Yep, maybe it’s a bit of both. Pfizer said during their study that about 2% of placebos had mild rebound cases. They claimed that rebound with Paxlovid was about the same, but now that there’s more data out there, the number with Paxlovid is more like 5-10% from what I’m reading.

Interesting. Never happened to me before. I’m noticing my taste is a bit muffled too. Good. Maybe I can use this opportunity to lose some weight. LOL.

Oh, my taste wasn’t a little muddled, it was dead. All i could taste was sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umani. It drove me nuts.

Yesterday on our local news a doctor was explaining this in light of President Biden’s recent bout. She said Paxlovid was working as expected, but once the course of treatment was completed, any remaining covid in the system was able to rebound. Symptoms are expected to remain mild, but any rebound should be handled the same as the initial infection WRT isolation.

Day 10. I still have a bit of gunk in my throat, but I tested negative. The control line wasn’t as dark this time, so I tested again to make sure I got enough stuff on the swab, with the same result: slightly dimmer control line, no positive test line. I guess I can go to my folks’ house this weekend!

Again, one day behind you at day 9. Haven’t had symptoms for several days and my sense of smell is back. But my antigen test is still positive. :unamused:

I’m glad your sense of smell is back at least!

I don’t think the control line tells you whether you collected an adequate sample. I think it’s only purpose is to tell you whether the test kit is okay. That is, if it’s expired, or perhaps it expired early because it was left out in the sun, you won’t get a control line. Also, I suppose if you use much too little buffer you may not get any line, but you’d see that the buffer didn’t diffuse over the test area, probably.

Huh. So, if I were to not stick the swab up my nose at all, but just put it into the liquid and then drop the liquid onto the test as directed, I’d still get a control line? I guess I could try this. I thought it was testing for the presence of some bodily something or other to prevent that kind of cheating/insufficient swabbing.

That was my impression as well. But a search shows that the control line reacts to the liquid in the test. It has nothing to do with anything on the swab.

After passing the test line, the sample continues to be wicked up the strip, where a similar reaction happens at the control line. The only difference is that the antibodies fixed at the control line are to the test antibody itself, and no bridging occurs.

yes, i’m pretty certain it doesn’t tell you anything about the quality of the sample, just that the test isn’t expired and has been performed appropriately (the right liquids in the right places, that sort of thing.) I haven’t actually tested that, but these tests were never designed with “cheating” in mind, rather they were designed with “tests sometimes fail” in mind.

Thanks! Ignorance fought!

If it’s not too private an issue, would you please elucidate? Everything I’ve read says that people with heart disease should absolutely get vaccinated, that the vaccine is safe for those with heart issues and that those with heart conditions are at increased risk for complications from COVID. Are there exceptions?

I have a moderately serious heart murmur(among other problems) and at the time they didn’t know how it would affect it

Thank you for explaining. Have you checked with your docs since then? Now that we understand so much more about COVID, maybe they’ve changed their recommendations. I’d hate to think you were at increased risk.

Wishing you the best!

@nightshadea, I agree with @nelliebly. Cardiac complications due to vaccination are much more rare than those caused by covid. It’s getting harder and harder to avoid being infected unless you live in a bubble. I hope your doctor can give you good advice. :slight_smile: