Comments on "Search re-enabled, etc."

Thanks for the update, Jerry.

We all look forward (like slavering hyenas) to reading what Ed Zotti will be sharing this evening.

5 minutes between searches sucks, but not as much as not having search at all sucks. It is nice to at least see TPTB acknowledge that it sucks. Hopefully the new server architecture will be ready to go sooner rather than later.

Heh, so that explains the hang I got a little while ago… I was thinking “so they take search away, and it STILL hangs this badly?” It must have been while it was being re-enabled.

I’m glad to have it back, though I don’t use it much. It’s mostly handy when I’ve been away for a few days and want to follow up on stuff.

I’m looking forward to hearing what’s going to happen in the future for these boards!

Roger that. My thanks to all of the admins, sysops, IT wizards and gerbil wranglers who are laboring so mightily to improve the Dope. We appreciate it, really!

and remember…

search responsibly!

I have but one complaint;

After saying about Ed filling us in on what’s potientially going to happen, the post should’ve ended with a dun dun duuuuuun.

I knew search was back today because of a page hang.

I’d have missed it entirely if not for this thread, thanks Twickster

The comping is a nice touch.

I’m not sure. What’s worse, having no chocolate milk at all or having mom smack your hand with a rolling pin if you take more than one sip every 5 minutes?

No chocolate milk at all. I confirmed this with my 6-year-old, although he gave me such a look, and I then had to explain the concept of a rhetorical question. He’s still eyeing me suspiciously, though.

You get smacked with a rolling pin if you try to search more than once every five minutes? Huh…I get ferrets gnawing at my toes.

Must be the time zone…

Dammit, I had my chance to use the “I’d search for it, but can’t” excuse that was all the rage, but never got around to it. Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall.

Thanks for the update.

5 minutes between searches seems a bit steep. Just a thought, but I’m guessing that the big hit is when you search the full post. Would it be possible to disable just that particular option?

Not without hacking the board software, unfortunately (this is definite - I’ve seen the code involved, at least for a newer vB version). Find all posts by user and suchlike are pretty low expense operations, but they’re all in the one chunk of code, and vBulletin doesn’t provide a more fine-grained option for disabling search features.

Twin, that’s if he ever does get around to sharing with us this evening. I think they’re waiting till the majority of us are in bed, to give them time to make the statement and then get away to whatever safe house has been set up.

Damned if that wouldn’t be MY plan, in his shoes. :slight_smile: