Commercials you love (and some you hate)

What? No one else likes the Ebay commercials beside me?

I give a thumbs up to the Quizno’s “rat things” commercials, and the “Brilliant!” beer commercials. Really can’t think of anything else…

And I also hate the Mcdonalds commercials. Something about those just bug the crap out of me.

Quizno’s: whose bright idea was it to have Gilbert Gottfried sing?*

DISH Network: if you’re going to use “Who Let the Dogs Out”, at least do something with the barking noises! “Who let the pigs in?” and “woof, woof, woof, woof” does not work!

ESPN SportsCenter: can commercials get any more stupid?
I agree with PaperTowel, that JuciyFruit one with the office camouflage is great!

*Yeah, I know, but that’s what it sounds like.

Any spot featuring talking infants, especially when the speaking is CGI. I’m staring straight at Lexus here for that baby’s first word ad.

Any where young children are tarted up to come across as erudite and sophisticated. Here, I’m giving the evil eye to the girl in the Pepsi ads (Thankfully, I’ve not seen here for a while) and the boy for Smart & Final.

The singing blobs of mold have got to go, Quiznos!

United’s got an animated ad running now that I kinda like - set to their traditional Gershwin music, it’s a story of some chap flying off for a job interview and showing up with one brown shoe and one black shoe. Despite that, he gets the job.

I hate any commercial in which it is automatically assumed that the male character is a moron, a jerk, or a spineless wuss, simply because he’s male.

Special mention goes to a Lexus commercial from a couple of years ago… man and woman driving in their Lexus along that winding road through the woods where all luxury sedan owners drive. Radio is playing. Woman changes station… man changes it back… woman changes it… man changes it… woman changes it… man reaches for it, and woman says “Do you like sleeping on the couch?” Man leaves it alone.

Every time I saw that, I had the mental image of the man slamming on the brakes, sliding the Lexus to a tire-smoking stop, and saying, “Do YOU like walking home, bitch?”

What’s even worse are CGI talking dogs. Every once in a while, an advertiser will pull it off right; most of the time, it looks like someone pasted a generic human grin on the dog’s face.

Another one I hate is the Nissan “Xterra owners club” commercial. It claims to show groups of Xterra owners out doing some “xtreme” off-roading in their shiny new vehicles. A closer look at these vehicles reveals a complete lack of scratches or mud. What are they trying to tell me–that their vehicle is all about looks, and can’t even handle a bit of dust? Or maybe it can’t handle the high-pressure hose at the car wash.

All Lexus commercials suck.

One of my current favorites is a kitty litter commercial. The lady is talking about the litter’s ability to handle a multi-cat household by explaining how easily new cats seem to find their way into her house. As she’s talking, her daughter runs in holding an absolutely adorable fluffball of a kitten. “Can we keep him?” she asks as she hold the bright-eyed bundle up for her Mom to see. The next scene shows the kitten cuddled up to the family’s original cat. Awww.

My current favorite is the Expedia Roaming Gnome: “One’s in danger of getting bubbles up one’s whoops-a-daisy.”

The first time I saw the Quizno’s commercial I was a little freaked out, but now the little critters have grown on me. Especially when they sing “They got a pepper bar.”

It’s a Travelocity commercial…even though you love it, the commercial isn’t working.

I used to hate ads for feminine hygiene above all overs, but then the boner pill ads showed up and took top prize in my most hated list. Not to be outdone, the female products have started discussing coverage, thongs, and sudden gushing when you stand up after sitting for a long time. Holy crap, I’d rather hear about 4 hour erections.

Quizno’s lost me a couple years back when it was some punk teenager who started the commercial with “If you’re 30 or older, you probably don’t know about Quizno’s yet.” Hey, fuck your mother, I’m over 30, and just for that opening line alone I will never spend a penny at any Quiznos.
The best ads are clearly Sportscenter ads, and they have been consistantly good for years. The “Without Sports…” campaign isn’t their best one, but it is still top drawer.

The Mistubishi vs. Toyota crash avoidance test ad wins most favorite and most hated at the same time. Trolling for a website hit offends me, but that song rocks and throwing stuff out of the back of a truck on the highway is just cool.

I love the bud song parody ads. Wingman, wingdog, etcetera. I actually caught myself singing the wingdog song yesterday, though I liked the wingman one better. (“She’s talkin’ 'bout herself, and not much more…”)

I like the Heineken ads; the one mentioned where the guy says “I love you” to get the girl to move cracks me up.

British/Irish telly again. (I’m really on my own here…)

Oh and the one I cannot help but like is the Carlsberg ad about the guy checking out the room. Especially where the Russian girl goes “Oooh, Football Legends!”.

And I’m a woman, at that.

There was one commercial that used to come on back in the 70s that I came to love more than anything else I can reember seeing on television. This was a commercial about RC COLA about a woman that was moving from the big city to a farm she had just bought. For those that remember, the words to the song to it went like this:
I grew up in the city, wher you pay to see the sky

Out here no one owns it, nor would even care to try

This life seems to fit me, like the denims and the boots

But man like I think the best way to live is the way to plant them roots

Me and My RC

Taste Mighty good to me

Whats good enough for other folks

Aint good enough for me (and my RC eeeeEEEE)
God I used to LOVE that song :cool:

There’s this commercial for some Swedish sounding dandruff shampoo (Fructose, or something) that shows a guy sitting on a couch next to a girl. The guy has headphones on and his bouncing his head to music. A fountain of dandruff comes flying out of his head everytime he bops. It sprays the girl next to him until she unplugs the headphones.
Blaaarghh! Nastiest thing ever!

Now that I think about it, I thnk the group that sang that song was named “The Carpenters

I love the Hersey’s commercials. The kisses never talk, there’s usually just a voice-over. The Xmas one is the best.

Any commercial for a prescription medicine that has a laundry list of adverse reactions at the end is horrible. There is one for adult ADD (and doesn’t that sound like a STD) that lists about twenty different side effects. Maybe they figure if you actually have adult ADD, you won’t be able to concentrate long enough to hear the entire liist, which is really, really gross.

I was going to buy my wife a brand new Lexus for Christmas but the dealership didn’t have any of those car-sized bows, so I decided to just get her a subscription to Dog Fancy. :wink:

Here in TN there are these irritating radio spots that feature this bizarre female-robot voice intoning “Natural… GAS.” “Yesterday… today… tomorrow… Natural. Gas.” Whenever I hear these commercials I immediately think of the identity theft commercials and mutter “This is going to be the best prom ever!”

Current favorite of all time:

“beggin strips” dog treats:

Dog (in his head obviously): I smell bacon!
Dog (even more frenzied now): bacon, bacon, Bacon, Bacon, BACON!
Soccer mom holds up a bag of the treats in front of the now half-insane dog.
Dog: Whats in the bag? (with just the right touch of frustration and dispair) I CAN’T READ!

Makes me bust out laughing each time I hear it.

Sometimes I use the line just to crack myself up when I am in the kitchen:

[inner Shatner]What’s in the Bag? I! CANT! READ! [/inner Shatner]

:smiley:

Oops, forgot Terry Tate: Office Linebacker! I will even go to Rebocks site to watc the new ones.

To recap others nominations. All Sportcenter ads are good. And most ESPN ads in general. Nike does a pretty good job too.

Quizno’s and McD’s are beyond stupid.

Most of the Meow Mix ads with Baxter and his owner have the right touch of the absurd for me. I liked the one where he is driving his carpool, and his cellhone rings. Everyone in the car gets this “don’t answer it look”. He of course does. “Baxter!” Everyone in the car rolls their eyes.

Oh yeah! Someone upthread mentioned ESPN ads. They’re always great. There’s one from several years ago with a young woman talking about an ESPN anchor/sportscaster (or whatever they’re called :slight_smile: ). And she’s talking about him as though she’s obsessed with him. At the very end, she says–about his wife–“She’s not very friendly.”

It’s the way she says it that cracks me up.

Sorry to waste a post on this, but the period should be on the other side of the quotes. I’m kinda anal. :o

Of course, now someone will notice something else wrong with my post, right? :slight_smile:

I always thought it sounded like “Saddam” when Conan talks to him “live via satellite”.

Love the Roaming Gnome and the “lifts and seperates” guy.

I hate that Jumbone commercial.

“In fact if he could use a tel-ee-phone, he’d call up and order this Jumbone!”

“It’s a really, really big, really big, big bone and that’s why they call it Jumboooone!”

:stabs herself in the ears with sharpened pencils:

I wouldn’t know, I find Conan dull.

Yeah, whoever came up with that did a good job.