Commodore 64 Emulators that work on Windows ME

What is a good Commodore 64 emulator that works on Windows ME?

I’m asking it this way rather than “What is your favorite C64 emulator that works on Win ME” because I have been having a tough time finding one with Google. I’m not concerned with opinions, I just want usable software.

Is Win ME compatible with Win 95? If so, then there’s a couple you can try here (I’ve never used either, so I have no recommendation to make):

http://members.aol.com/emunews/computer.htm

What have you tried and why won’t they work?

I always used Frodo in my Amiga days and now it has been ported to Win32. It runs fine on my Win2000Server Machine and my Win98SE machine and I can think of no reason for a vanilla Win32 app like Frodo not to run on 95/98/ME if it doesn’t break under NT. You can get it here.

I’ve tried CCS64 and it made my screen do really weird things and didn’t want to respond to commands. (It runs in Windows ME’s MS-DOS emulator. Emulators running inside emulators…interesting, but useless in this case, unfortunately.) Obviously, not a good choice. I’ve found another one, WinVICE 1.6 (that’s under the GPL, incidentally :)), that works as a window in Windows itself that seems to work fine, until I ‘attach’ an image I downloaded. The image will not work. Maybe it’s just that I don’t know how to work it right. :slight_smile: I hope so, because the WinVICE package came with emulators for the C64, C128, VIC20, PET, and CBM-II. A whole retrocomputing library. I’m exploring the VICE site, and maybe I’ll stumble on some really good documentation that answers all my questions. Until then, I hope the Teeming Millions can help me find the perfect C64 emulator for Windows ME.

I’ve used VICE on NT, didn’t try it on 95/98, so I don’t know if it works on ME or not. It worked very well except that whoever did the event loop did it in such a way as to suck up 100% CPU, so you can’t run anything else at the same time and have it work well.

It’s open source, and I thought I figured out how to fix it but never got around to it. It has been revised since I last used it, so it may have been fixed.

Not necessarily. I have even run Frodo for AmigaOS within WinUAE and it was incredibly stable and every bit as fast as a real C64 on dual P54C’s @166MHz running WinNT4SP4. WinUAE was clocking in at 98% of an A3000/25. I need to reinstall WinUAE to see how it runs on my 256MB Athlon 650 machine.:smiley:

No, I just said it was useless in my specific case, because it made my screen go flooie and didn’t respond to commands I gave it to exit. I wasn’t commenting on the state of nested emulators as a whole.

Just to clear that up.

BTW, you know I’m envious, right? :wink:

Silly question, probably, but why would you want to emulate a C64?

Welcom to the wonderful world of retrocomputing. I primarily use Frodo(C64) to play old games I fell in love with in the early '80s like Elite, M.U.L.E., Beachhead, and the like. I use WinUAE (Amiga) to more easily comunicate between my PCs and Amiga becasue there are certain tasks that the Amiga is too good at, even after seven years of little or no development.

For the same reason I like writing useless little programs in Python. It’s fun, it’s intelligent, and it can provide insight into computing as a whole. I know that learning how to use the C64 or the VIC20 isn’t exactly going to help me in any direct ways, but it’s part of the accumulation of knowledge, and knowledge is good.

Besides, learning how to use older, simpler computers is a rather ineffective revolt against the flashy, bloated, insecure, and unstable software the Big Two (Microsoft and Macintosh) produce. Being able to ignore the mouse for a little while as I play a game that hones my typing skills is relaxing, to say the least. And using the very bloatware I’m revolting against as my tool to achieve that end is a satisfaction all its own.

http://www.t-100.net/gaming/index.html
thats the place for any emulation program you want althugh at the moment its not relisted all its sites yet becuase of a server change but youll be able to find it there

alsk try classicgaming.com in its vault section i hope this helps

I loved M.U.L.E!!! Question though: those C64 diskettes sure weren’t in a PC compatible format, and I don’t have my old C64 diskette drive, so there’s no way I could transfer the files from the diskette (which I still kept), even if that were possible. Do the game programs and files exist anywhere in either executable or source-code format? Or, at least, tell me how you manage to run these programs?

what you do is go to a emulator site… the best one thats not shut down is http://www.classicgaming .com go to their vault section and they should have 2 or 3 emulators for the c 64 even if they dont have the most upto date ones they have homepage links where ya can get them

once you download the emulator you need do down load the rom they might have them also if not just type in “commodore 64 roms” in any search engine and you should be able to find some
note read the instructions on how to load the roms and emulators some re easy and some take a bit to work

what you do is go to a emulator site… the best one thats not shut down is http://www.classicgaming .com go to their vault section and they should have 2 or 3 emulators for the c 64 even if they dont have the most upto date ones they have homepage links where ya can get them

once you download the emulator you need do down load the rom they might have them also if not just type in “commodore 64 roms” in any search engine and you should be able to find some
note read the instructions on how to load the roms and emulators some re easy and some take a bit to work

I prefer zophar.net Pretty up to date and incredibly extensive emulator links.