Community 5.05 "Geothermal Escapism" 1/23/14

No argument on him being no loss. With Glover everybody is screaming “Nooôoooōôöóôõ!!!”, with Chase they just calmly said “Bye”.

Jeff’s revelation that he’s never been out of Colorado was strangely real and sad. His character has a lot more depth now than in the beginning episodes, yet it seems amazingly real for such a surreal show.

I love how no one even questions the honor system at Greendale.

I guess I’m kind of the opposite of most community fans.

I didn’t really like the whole “Troy and Abed” thing. I did at first, but after a while it just seemed like the same joke over and over. Which wouldn’t be too bad if it wasn’t such a huge part of the show. So, it doesn’t bother me that Troy’s leaving, if it means they have to try something new there. I just hope he isn’t replaced with a new suspiciously Troy-like character. Or one of the other characters starts acting more Troy-like.

On the other hand, I liked Pierce. Not like, I’d like him as a person if I knew him in real life, but I liked what he added to the show. Yeah he was also a lot of the repeating same joke (old out of touch guy is old and out of touch), but at least they didn’t repeat it a lot, so it was still funny when they did. But mainly what I liked was that he was different from the rest of the group, didn’t always go along with what they were doing and provided some contrasts and conflict.

And that was the first time it ever occurred to me that the college wasn’t in California.

It doesn’t snow that much in Greendale, does it?

Does anybody know where the sci-fi Con they went to was? I’m assuming it was in Colorado or else Jeff and Troy have short memories, though that wasn’t Harmon.

It was near a place to ski which is why Jeff & Annie went along. So Colorado is quite reasonable.

I don’t think so. For one, I think Harmon is better than that. For another, Glover, as mentioned upthread, is a rather unique actor. I’m interested in seeing how they progress as far as group dynamic goes but I’m only slightly worried about Magnitude and Abed in the Morning.

If you watch the outtakes, the cast really didn’t get along with Chevy to the point where it started to look petty and mean. Little snarks and jabs when Chevy flubbed his lines about his age and his ego. Things like “Great reference from the LAST millennium, Chevy.” or mockingly “How dare you. I’m the funniest man in Hollywood.” All of this I’m sure is deserved and I’m sure Chevy was a pain in the ass to work with but on the other hand the Pierce character didn’t have much to work with, only exists to be humiliated, and he IS from an entirely different generation of humor as the rest of the study group.

Great episode.

I bet if this was the first episode (minus the Troy leaving part, which admittedly would change the episode) I think I would have really liked last week’s episode too.

“My self-published novel isn’t going to publish itself, you know.”

Fairy decent overall, but the final scene was just wonderful in every respect.

I can’t remember the specifics but there were some references in the first season at least that it was Colorado. I also forgot and then remembered as soon as he said it. “Oh yeah, it was Colorado, wasn’t it?”.

On the other hand, it would be an excellent marketing opportunity for “Pop-pop … Tarts!”

And I had no idea that Magnitude is British! Apparently the actor was also in the Harry Potter movies.

Yeah, the last season tried to use Chang way too heavily as an actual plot point. This season, he’s being used for incidental comedic relief and it completely works.

And I’m pretty sure Dan Harmon is genuinely just writing embarassing scenes for Starburns purely to force Dino to do them.

I’m genuinely shocked how good I thought this episode was. I think it’s absolutely Community back at its best, which I really didn’t think was possible after season 4. It’s impressive how much heart and soul Harmon was able to bring back.

That’s what I thought.

That was very surprising. So I a guess that was a correspondence school in Colombia then? Also speaking of Colorado, I wonder if they’re going to reference cannabis being legal somehow. Shirley getting stoned could be interesting. :wink:

No no no, Shirley’s sandwiches suddenly become massively popular and she can’t figure out why, then Britta clues her in that it’s all the potheads getting the munchies.

And then Alex Reiger shows up and lectures them on a moral.

This episode was one of the greatest things ever done on a sitcom.

Yet I’m not sure if it cracks my top 5 Community episodes.

Dan Harmon is a genius.