Complaints from the other side of the shop

I’m sorry, nikjohns, but I’m afraid I don’t understand.

Are you suggesting that I copied my contribution to this discussion from another site? I assure you, that is not the case.

Could you clarify, please?

Spoons

I did, honestly, read those two stories on http://www.customerssuck.com soon after the original link was posted in this thread. I’ve looked for them now, but can’t find them (as is typical).

If I find them soon, I will post some links…

I can’t explain it. :-/

Nikjohns, I’d like to see those links.

When I saw your post, I did have a look myself at customerssuck.com, but to be honest, it was the first time I had ever visited that site. There was far too much in there for me to find the posts you refer to. Maybe if I wasn’t trying to work at the same time, I could.

However, I’m sure that the experiences I related are fairly common in many retail liquor environments. (Heck, I guess that the ones about wadded-up bills and coins would be common in most retailers, not just ones selling alcohol.) Certainly there would be some like them at customerssuck.com, I’m sure.

“The Beer Store,” where I worked and where the experiences I related came from, is a chain of stores in Ontario, Canada. Not sure how many stores there are, but you can’t go very far in Ontario without finding one. (We’re a thirsty bunch. :slight_smile: ) They sell beer, and except for the occasional T-shirt or baseball cap or other stuff a brewer can put its name on and sell, nothing but.

But because The Beer Store employs thousands of people, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if customerssuck.com had posts from other people who worked (or still do) there.

Wonder if you spotted such an item, and thought it was mine. Could that be what happened?

Um…there better NOT be stuff from Customer’s Suck posted here. I don’t think George will mind too much, but I know some of OUR posters there would be pretty pissed.

Spoons

I cannot find the page still. But I definitely saw it (believe me or not).
If you or anyone else can find them…

I’ll be pretty pissed, too. If anyone sees stuff that’s been copied from another website, please let me or another mod/admin know, with links to both. We’ll take care of it.

Lynn
Administrator
For the Straight Dope

Well, I think that people bitch at us just because they need somebody to vent their anger at when they’re getting screwed. The worst part of my job was having to work the cigarette aisle, since whenever new taxes went up, we had tons of complaints about prices hikes. Apparently, it never occurred to people that a lowly cashier can’t decide prices or taxes.

I’ve often wanted a bumper sticker that says, “Will Rogers clearly never met my customers!”

(BTW I post at CS under the name Alex B)

Everybody’s going off half cocked here. Spoons gave a story. nikjohns says it’s from Customer’s Suck, but can not find it now or provide a link. Guinastasia and Lynn Bodoni being in their respective positions for each board, are already admonishing Spoons. Everybody mentioned needs to apologize to Spoons,if you don’t find that article.

I wouldn’t say I’m being admonished, Phobia. Falsely accused perhaps, but by neither Lynn nor Guinastasia. My impression is that they would like to see the links before they conclude anything–an attitude that is, IMHO, wholly understandable.

And I’d also like to see those links.

Perhaps, if I had plagiarized another website, I might decide this would be a good time to just shut up, to slink away, to disappear for a while until the heat was off. But I know I didn’t plagiarize anybody–even during my Beer Store days, I was a writer, a trade I continue to follow, and plagiarism is the kiss of death in my field–and so I’ll continue to stand up to this.

Let’s get this out in the open. Let’s see those links, all of them. If they can be found, then we’ll judge. But if they cannot be located, then an apology from the original accuser would be much appreciated.

FWIW, a search on customerssuck (including the archives) on keywords “beer and ID and carded” includes exactly one post, which is not Spoons’. So I think an apology from nikjohns is appropriate.

I can’t find it, I’m sure I saw it, but either way I agree an apology is due to spoons.

So, er, sorry…

Spoons-I’m sorry if I jumped-I wasn’t so much accusing you, or anyone, so much as I was warning, Hey, no one better try that!

Also, for what it’s worth, a LOT of the stories on Customer’s Suck and our sister site, Customers Eat My Shorts, tend to get recycled and passed around. And a lot of them often sound pretty similar. Our rants usually all have a certain type of tone. That’s all. So don’t worry about it.

Customers just suck, don’t they? I used to work in a supermarket and the people there don’t only complain about the prices, they tell you all the prices from the damned “Save-a-Buck” (or whatever) store that’s next door! If you like their cheap prices and lame service, GO THERE!

shudder

A friend of mine finally vented his emotions on his very last day, to his very last customer, a guy in his fifties.

Clerk: “That’ll be 45 dollars, 35 cents, and your mother is a dirty-ass whore.” (he said it really softly and quickly though)

Customer (in disbelief): Wha… What?

Clerk: “I said… That’ll be 45 dollars, 35 cents and thank you for coming to our store.”

The guy looked him in the eye while he payed him and turned around a couple of times to see us sniggering as he walked away.

— G. Raven

Thanks, nikjohns.

Not worried, Guinastasia.

Glad we can put this matter to rest.