Computer Diagnostics question

I have a Toshiba NB505 NetBook. It got bumped too hard and killed the hard drive. Would not boot, no way no how.

I bought a new hard drive and installed Win 7 Ultimate. The original op sys on it was Win 7 Starter.

The driver for the Wi-Fi from Toshiba apparently does not support Win 7 Ultimate (according to tech support). No documentation or anything, just that since it does not work, that must be it :rolleyes:.

Tech support cannot tell me what Wi-Fi is hardware is in it other than it is either Atheros or RealTec. And I can’t for the life of me find out through any diagnostics I have run including BeLarc. Detailed specs on line of the machine says it has a Wi-Fi :rolleyes:.

I’m pretty confident that if I can figure out what hardware is in there, I can get the driver for it, but I keep coming up with ‘Unknown’ since a driver is not loaded.

So, the question is, how do I figure out what the Wi-Fi hardware is so I can get a proper driver for it?

It should be a Realtek RTL8188CE

Toshiba’s screwy, then, since there is no difference whatsoever between Win 7 Starter and Ultimate from a driver point of view.

Thank you both. It was the 8188. Back in business.

SDMB to the rescue when nobody else could help