Computer/Network Folder Question

What I am looking for is a way to mark a subfolder, and have this mark carried UP through the folder tree.

For example, I have on my network a folder structure along these lines:

Year
|
|.Client1
|
|…JobNumber1
| |
| |…WorkInfo
| |
| |…BillingInfo
|
|…JobNumber2
| |
| |…WorkInfo
| |
| |…BillingInfo
|
|.Client2
|
|…JobNumber1
| |
| |…WorkInfo
| |
| |…BillingInfo
|
|…JobNumber2
| |
| |…WorkInfo
| |
| |…BillingInfo
…and so on.
Now, what I am wanting to do is add files to Year/Client1/WorkInfo, then mark the folder as having new work… and then when another employee accesses the network server, they will see that there is new work in the Year folder, then Client1, then WorkInfo, and be able to unmark the folder when they begin using it.

I hope this makes sense, and of course I am using Windows.

Right click the folder and bring up properties.
Go to sharing and turn it on.
The folder is now shared.

So basically, if I understand correctly, you’re looking for a shared folder update notifier? I don’t know if Windows has that functionality built in. Two possibilities:

1. If you have Vista, you could try making a search query that’ll look for all files created/changed within the last X days within the shared folder.
  2. You could a tool like this one, though I’ve never tried it myself so I can’t vouch for it.

How about when you change something in a specific year, you append the folder name to yearNEW, then change the folder name with the new work to foldernameNEW (and whatever folders above it you need to mark so he can find his way to the new file. When the work is complete the employee changes the directory names back to what they started out as.

Either that, or maybe just sending an email and letting them know something changed, in fact, I think you can email a link to the folder itself.

With the way our internal data works, our folders are constantly changing, info being added by different “departments”, etc… so what I am looking for is the ability to flag a folder with, say, new survey information so that the drafting department knows that work is ready to begin. Our data is ordered by Year>Client>Job Number>Department>Data Files. I checked out Folder Marker, a fairly easy-to-use bit of software that allows you to right-click a folder and change the icon (say, make it purple, or chartreuse, or add an exclamation point) and apply that change to all subfolders; however, I need it to go the other direction to alert anybody that enters the Work directory that there is a new job in the 2007>Client1 folder.

We are currently using a sort of renaming system, and we are looking to change the system as it is currently leading to many problems with locating older data.

IIRC this is pretty much what Microsoft Groove is designed for.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/groove/HA101656331033.aspx

There is also a 60 day trial available from that page.

That can’t be right. Microsoft doesn’t design things that solve actual problems.

d&r

Just thought of another possible way. Somewhere in the shared drive make a new folder called “New Work” (or whatever you want to name it). Whenever there is a folder that you want flagged, just drop a shortcut to it into the NEW WORK folder. Employees would then just need to make sure they regularly check that folder. When the work is done/processed/whatever they simply delete the shortcut.

Would that work?

That one snuck up on me - I had never heard of this.

I was going to suggest a Document Collaboration System or maybe some form of CVS. Document Collaboration tools allows docs to be marked in specific ways, people to be notified, workflows defined etc.

ETA: look at Epiware for an example.

Si

There’s an application called “subversion” that may have the features you need.