Confessions of Bad Musical Taste

Over a discussion with friends about our favorite albums, songs, bands, concerts, etc. It occurred to me that a more illuminating topic might be embarrassing music. So the question came up, “What is the most embarrassing piece of music you own or have ever owned?” The qualifiers are that it must be something that you wanted at one time. Thus, you actively acquired your embarrassing piece of music through purchase or as a sought-after gift. It doesn’t count if your roommate moved out and left you with his copy of “The Diabolical Biz Markee” (which happened to me). Also, since embarrassing is decidedly subjective, it should refer to those pieces of music that your peer group (however you define it) would consider stupid, childish, simple, or just out and out bad.

C’mon, jharding, you can’t just post a question like that without answering it yourself!

I actually went out and purchased the ABBA boxed set. I love it. I’m embarrassed to love it, but I do. I also have Weird Al’s, but I’ve noticed that, on this board at least, this is fairly normal.

Let’s see… what else?

Barry White’s Greatest Hits. (I bought it for that song they play on Ally McBeal.)

Both of the Titanic movie soundtracks.

I think that’s enough for now. :slight_smile:

Sorry for not truly confessing with the origional post. I plead rookie ignorance!

Also, slightly contrary to what I said in the OP, I did secretly covet “The Diabolical Biz Markee”, so even though my roommate left it behind after his move, I was marginally pleased to add it to my cd collection. I just love that song that goes, “Oh baby youuuuuuuuu, got what I need. You said he’s just a friend, you said he’s just a friend. Oh baby youuuuuuuu.” And so on.

However, if I had to confess to something following my own criteria. I’d offer up Boy George and Culture Club’s Greatest Hits. God help me, but I love that cd still. This fact is probably more embarrassing for my wife who tries to hide it when friends come over.

The only other embarrassing one I might include would be the very first Bon Jovi album–big hair at its biggest.

jadailey, thanks for encouraging me to get such tormenting secrets off of my chest. I feel much better now. Let the healing begin!

I, too, have Barry White’s Greatest hits. I also have a (to me) great CD of Desi Arnaz’s greatest hits, two Vondra Shepherd CDs, and I think Tom Jones rocks (I’ve even seen him in concert).
:: blushing smiley ::

Let’s get this straight right now: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is cool.

Therefore, I confess nothing.

I like the band Garbage. I have both of thier CD’s. I don’t know why I like them so, but I do.

Mauvaise - I can’t wait to meet you! I have those two Vonda Shepherd CDs, too!

Since when is listening to Garbage an embarassment?

As for me, I own and listen to Neil Diamond’s “Hot August Night”

I was pretty lucky that the arrival of CDs came when my tastes in music were rapidly changing. My record collection is mostly stuff I’m now embarrassed to own, while only a fraction of my CDs cause me shame. In fact, I remember putting off getting Thriller on vinyl with the intention of getting the CD at some point because, you know, it’s such an important album and everything and I didn’t want to get it in an inferior format. Funny, I haven’t yet picked it up.

I have the ABBA box and Vondra Shepherd CDs, too! But the most embarrassing thing that comes to mind is my affection for the music of Haircut 100. This is an 80’s British cute-boy-band, and I am a 33-year-old straight man. But, I have their first album on CD, bought a second CD featuring them just to get some of their songs in extended mixes, and continually check the record stores to see if their second vinyl album has been released on CD, or maybe even the album that they cut between those two records that has never been released. Geez, why do I even KNOW about this stuff?

[hijack]
Borborygmi, Nick Heyward of Haircut 100 has cut some truly excellent albums since the band broke up. Check out particularly From Monday to Sunday and Apple Bed.

I don’t know that I would call them a “cute-boy-band,” though. They were pretty solidly New Wave.
[/hijack]

…I was Xmas shopping, and found what I considered to be the ultimate gag gift for a buddy of mine. When I purchased this CD, I took ot home with the intention of wrapping it. However, the temptation proved to be too great, and I had to open it and listen to it. Now I have it firmly entrenched in my CD rack. Not that I ever listen to it, but there it is. I can’t bring myself to get rid of my copy of…
“Let Her In-The Best of John Travolta”

Supertramp, God help me. I also like Elton John, Billy Joel, and Phil Collins, all of whom have been proclaimed by my boyfriend to be “crappy.”

I also rather enjoy the Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack, and when nobody else is home I crank up the greatest hits of John Cougar Mellencamp album.

And uh, once I bought a Yanni CD, but I’ve been too embarrassed to listen to it for years.

Supertramp rocks! Tell your boyfriend to take a hike. :wink:

OK, I own the following lowpoints in musical history:
Bobby Brown - My Prerogative (single)
Tiffany - I think we’re alone now (12")
Madonna - Gambler (single)

That’s about it, as far as embarassing goes.

Ace of Bass “The Sign”
Yes, ABBA lite (I know, I didn’t think it was possible either - and yet, there they are). And I bought it. I liked one of the songs, once upon a time.

And I happen to love “Escape (the Pina Colada Song)” somewhere is a CD I bought to get a copy of it.

I’ll slink away now.

Okay, I’m a 38 year old mother of four and generally I accept my demographic, happily listening to anyone who ever played the Lilith Fair (been twice, bought all the cds.) But once in a while, I need something a little different. As it happens, today was one of those days, so this morning I tidied my kitchen to the sounds of Kid Rock’s Devil Without a Cause.

And I’m not ashamed.

Well, Coldfire, whenever he gets on my back about my love of certain pop idols, I wordlessly hold up his well-worn vinyl copy of “MacArthur Park.”

Nothing more need be said.

Tough choice. It might be Guns-n-Roses Use Your Illusion albums (which were the first CDs I ever owned), but I think they’re actually not bad.

It might be Aerosmith’s Get a Grip. In fact, it probably is.
But the other contender is the “Last Action Hero” soundtrack. I bought it solely because it had a couple of Alice in Chains songs on it that I couldn’t find anywhere else. How I wish napster had been around then.

I love old Barry Manilow…does it get worse?
I love country music. Kenny Chesney sang She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy at the fair and I was in the 3rd row, having bought tickets 5 months in advance. Neil McCoy sang The Beverley Hillbillys Rap song the same night…does music get any better than that?

I’ll admit to an odd, inexplicable fascination with Ricky Martin. I’m normally into stuff like Rush/Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd/etc. I don’t understand it, but while most pop music annoys me, I really enjoy anything by Ricky Martin.

Also, I think In the Year 2525 is an interesting song, and kinda cool, but I do acknowledge that it also rather sucks.

I have, on my hardrive, Sunshine Day by The Brady Bunch; Sugar, Sugar by the Archies; Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart; Donna Summer’s MacArther’s Park; Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood (the Santa Esmerelda version, not the Animals); Close To You, the Carpenters.

I listen to all of these songs (plus many, many more) regularly. No one can top me in the Godawful Songs I Like To Sing Out Loud catagory.