Confessions of Bad Musical Taste

I’ve never been embarrassed by a piece of music I’ve owned.

Well, that probably means that at least one other person agrees with about 6-7 (at least) CDs I have. Heck, I’ve even got a couple of their more obscure albums, even though my collection of their stuff is still incomplete. (By the way, that group still seems to be somewhat organized?! Go figure…) However, that’s sort of the tip of the iceberg. I don’t view my CD collection as “bad” so much as I do “unfashionable”. The bulk of my CDs include the aforementioned weird 70’s rock/pop band, plus copious amounts of Pink Floyd and a couple of Tull albums. Then, there’s some Weird Al and a bit of Monster Magnet thrown in for the heck of it.

I’m in college, so my taste in music puts me in two interesting situations:
1.) Everyone brings their own music if they have to ride in my car. The reason should be fairly obvious. It’s either their stuff or “The Wall”.

2.) My roommate’s big on Christian stuff. I don’t listen to anything I particularly like while in his presence, especially not at the volume levels I happen to like (my PC speakers are capable of 106 db -sustained- at normal listening position, and they only start sounding really nice when they’re kicking pretty hard). Between his specific taste in music and the content of some of the more recent stuff I listen to, it’s just as well.

Amateurs.

The Sign by Ace of Base.
The soundtracks to Xanadu, Shock Treatment, Son of Dracula(with Ringo Starr as Merlin!), and The Pirate Movie.
Both the London and Broadway productions of Cats.
Lynda Carter
[edited to fix code]

I own every Bangles album, and both of Susanna Hoffs’ solo albums. I still listen to them all the time. I can (and do) play along with every song on their third album “Everything” on the bass guitar.

So, do I win something?

[sub][sup]Oh god somebody kill me now.[/sup][/sub]

Well I’ve never felt embarassed about it 'til starting on this board, but I listen to and like John Tesh.

Hmph!

My collection of ‘Nature Sounds’ CDs - you know, with Vivaldi, Bach etc. played over babbling brooks, bird chirps and coyote howls. Don’t know what possessed me to actually buy those.

I own and occasionally spin the LOVIN’ SPOONFUL ANTHOLOGY (I love jug bands) and MANFRED MANN: THE BEST OF THE FONTANA YEARS, because it only cost a couple of bucks and I really like their version of Dylan’s “The Mighty Quinn.”

I grew up with the Beatles.
My favorite song of all time is Ice Ice Baby.
Yes, I’m the only one.

hangs his head in shame

Ratt, Invasion of Your Privacy

"You take the midnight subway train,
You’re calling all the shots.
You’re struck by lightning…
You’re in love.

…ad nauseum…

But dammit. I need my cheese metal.

Thanks to all who confessed to such heights (or is it lows?)of embarassing musical taste. I’m finding it much easier to come to grips with my affinity for Culture Club, the Charlie Daniels Band, and Allan Sherman (Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh. Here I am at Camp Granada…)

John Denver’s Greatest Hits.
Argent - Hold Your Head Up.
America - Horse with No Name.
I think I still have some old 45’s, too. The Jackson Five, The Osmonds, Bobby Sherman. I don’t play them any more, ha-ha.

Also brought into our house by my husband - The Five Americans. All their albums. I love them! Thank you Aha.

Not ashamed, but proud of my Brady Bunch CD, “It’s a Sunsine Day”. You’ve simply got to hear them mangle “American Pie”. Makes you cringe in a good way.

I also love my soundtrack to “Oklahoma” and Partridge Family’s Greatest Hits. I am currently teaching my son the words to “I Think I Love You”. I’m sure if I were at home, I’d find some other strange ones.

I actually own two Rush albums on vinyl: 2112 and Moving Pictures. I spent $2 to get them both, and very nearly enjoyed one of them. I like that “Limelight” song.

I also own the original (?) broadway soundtrack to The Sound of Music. With Mary Martin as Maria.

And I really, truly enjoy my bagpipe CDs.

When I was 17 in 1976, I just had to have Linda Ronstadt’s new album Hasten Down the Wind. Which desire had nothing to do with the content and everything to do with the cover picture: LR in a negligee. Listened to it a couple times and then forgot about it.

I absolutely love love love my copy of Frente! 's “Marvin: the Album.” It is so cute, and Angie Hart is my absolute fantasy. I have had discussions with other friends about how it is impossible not to love it and yet feel slightly embarassed listening to it at the same time.

(sigh)…

Ummm…

Jeez, this is really embarassing…
Hanson.
God help me, but I really like “MMMBop”.
And I’m a 32-year old married man with no kids.

Yeesh.
Also, a couple of songs by the Spin Doctors: Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong and Jimmy Olsen’s Blues.
Oh, yeah, and I really like Frente’s version of “Bizarre Love Triangle.” Better than the New Order original.

God, I’m a geek.

Ooh! I almost forgot: Shonen Knife!! Especially “I Am A Cat”. That doesn’t embarass me as much as the others, mostly because they opened for Nirvana; they couldn’t have been all that geeky if Kurt Cobain liked them. Right? Right???

However, Havok, I agree with xizor; there’s no way Garbage is in any way embarassing. They rule!

Okay, I have mine.

When I was in my country phase(about 12 years old at the time) I liked…

Billy Ray Cyrus :eek: :o

What was I thinking?!!!
Anyway, they were just cassettes, so I threw them out.

I was brought into the Light. Thank goodness for Placebo,Orgy, and U2!!!

I edited this out of my first comment because I was afraid it was too mean, but now that there have been two pro-Garbage comments I feel there is an imbalance between the forces of good and evil on this board which must be corrected as quickly as possible.

Owning a Garbage CD is most certainly embarrassing. They have no soul.

NO SOUL!!

I love “Ice Ice Baby!” True story…a few friends of mine drug me to a karaoke bar last weekend. I’m a natural ham, so I decided to perform. Lo and behold! The list of songs had that particular gem by Vanilla Ice. Guess what song I did?

I once won a prize from a radio station for knowing who recorded the album “Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)”. I actually owned that on 8 track.

I also had a copy of Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band. Their big song was “Boogie 'Till You Puke”. When I first played that in the dorm (middle of the afternoon, no one around), three folks came down to see what “that noise” was.

Of course, that college was strange anyway. Watching Saturday Night Live in the lobby, the Grateful Dead was announced as the musical guest. The conversation behind me went like this: “Who’s that?” “I dunno, must be some sorta New York punk band.”