Continuation of my hijack with Anthracite

Kyomara, you were being an asshole. Your statement in the other thread was a totally gratuitous insult, and I said as much.

Anthracite wasn’t implying that you couldn’t argue with her because she defended you; she was confused as to why you would insult her the way you did.

Just because a thread is in the Pit doesn’t mean you have to insult people.

Is this edging into being a dog pile? 'Cause count me out.

IMHO Anthracite was offensive in her first post in the thread in question. Kyomara’s response was out of line no question, but hell let’s have some balance here. I was pretty outraged myself at Anthracite’s post.

Sure, Anthracite did the only honorable thing when proven wrong and retracted, but the level of rebuke that Kyomara is getting for flying off the handle in the middle of that argument is not fair. Let Kyomara apologize if Kyomara feels that this is the thing to do or let them be at odds.

Whatever transcended before that is irrelevant.

There is no right and wrong in this argument.

Sparc

You were “outraged” by Anthracite’s first post?

Even if you disagree with her opinion, it “outraged” you? “Outraged”? If you can be “outraged” at someone simply disagreeing with you about someone holding a mainstream point of view about a fairly narrow point of journalistic ethics on a message board, what do you do when faced with a real-life outrage…terrorist thugs who attack innocent Israelis, for example?

And even if you were “outraged”, I didn’t notice you engaging in personal attacks on her. As a matter of fact, your response was thoughtful, civil and measured. (and I pretty damned strongly disagree with it. But it was still well-written…if poorly coded!:wink: )

I didn’t notice Gary Kumquat, who also disagreed with her pretty strongly, engaging in personal attacks.

I didn’t notice Miller, who also* disagreed with her pretty strongly

Notice how the Anthracite half of the discussion (let’s not bring the Decemeber half in) was heated, but civil until Kyomara trolled in with the nasty, UTTERLY UNPROVOKED personal attack?

Bullshit.

Anth made statement of opinion about a behavior that some journalists exhibit. Not even an outrageous opinion.

Kyomara attacked her personally without any provocation whatsoever*.

Kyomara behaved like a major asshole and Anth deserves an apology from him/her.

Fenris

I think I might be in love with you, Fenris.

Provided, of course, that you love cats {mine in particular}

And rain. We get lots of rain here.

No? Thought not. Well, after that last post, please keep in mind that the offer remains open. :smiley:

I really don’t think Kyomara deserves a pile-on. This is (and that was) the Pit. Certainly there have been stronger insults in this thread hurled at Kyomara than the one that started this whole thing (kind of ironic, if you think about it). The insult was an exercise in bad judgement, this thread is an exercise in really bad judgement. But all I think that is all he/she is guilty of. Well, that and being a major drama queen.

Poorly coded Fenris, eh? :wink:

I see your point. ‘Outraged’ was too strong a word. I really chimed in with my two cents because I think that this here is getting a little too one sided. Let me rephrase; there was certain tone in Anthracite’s post that lends me to have some understanding for Kyomara. I agree that it did not warrant the verbal slur that followed. For that matter Anthracite’s further post where commendably measured, even in the face of Kyomara’s attack on her. I think the really silly thing in the end was to open this thread.

Kyomara; it’s generally speaking a bad idea to attack by opening a Pit thread when you’re the one who threw the first stone. You should have let it be or apologized. This is like asking for people to attack you.

And Fenris; how on earth can you disagree with me when I am right? :smiley:

Sparc

Scotti: I’m fine with most cats (I’ve got one of my own), and love rain (Denver doesn’t get much, so it’s a treat when we do), so careful with those offers. Y’never know what the answer might be! :wink:

Dr. Lao: Stronger insults have been hurled here and in the past, but Kyomara was a special class of obnoxious for throwing a pretty nasty personal attack (this is the SDMB: “Dumb”/“Dense”, etc would be pretty damned high on this Board’s list of “fightin’ words”) after the discussion had calmed down. Plus it was completely unprovoked: she didn’t hurl the first insult.

Even so, I’d have probabaly ignored it (we’ve all had explosions that we’ve regretted) if it had just been the one comment, and I’d certainly have ignored it if Kyo’s follow-up had been a retraction or an apology. But to defend the insult for several follow-up posts and THEN to open a whole new Pit thread to reiterate, defend the comment, and make a veiled plea for popular support is again in a special class of obnoxious.

And (argument from popularity alert!) as a matter of fact, the level of obnoxious is so high that not one Doper has stood behind Kyo’s attempt to drum up support for his/her slam on Anth. I wouldn’t call it a pile-on when the person asks for support and doesn’t get it.

Sparc:
A) I never miscode. Perhaps a quantum “miracle” caused a bit/byte on the SDMB server to change and read a * as a **. I stand firm upon my innocence. (Are you buying this? No? Then I invoke Gaudere’s Law. Pfffbt. :stuck_out_tongue: )

B) Regarding you being right, I’ll meet you back in the original thread and explain what my point of disagreement may be.

Fenris

Actually, I won’t. I just read the remainder of that thread. Bleach. I’m stayin’ far, FAR away from that one.

That’s fine Fenris, no need. I’m out of the thread in q as well as of the last couple of posts.

I think I can see many reasons to disagree with Reuters and AP, even if I happen to agree. It’s not one of those issues were I feel that I stand my ground very firmly.

In any case I was jesting about your disagreeing when I am right. :wink:

Sparc

this is what Kyomora said in their second post of this thread. It indicated to me (well, besides great sense in acknowledging that I’m ‘quite right’ :wink: ), that they see that their initial interpretation of Anthacite’s posts were probably wrong.

Not an official appology, correct, but some headway. They also acknowledge that the issue itself isn’t a large one at all, so I believe (as I think was stated), that the opening of this thread wasn’t necessarily intended to be the start of WWIII.

and they haven’t posted again here. So, I wouldn’t assume that they’re still ‘defending’ as it were, the OP.

Whoa! What the fuck was that?! Last time I try to borrow coding.

Preview is your friend. :smiley:

Yeah, well, whatever.

I didn’t open this thread to continue to give Anthracite a hard time or to “drum up support” (that one had me a bit mystified…where in the OP do I address anyone but Anthracite?). I opened it because if discussion was to continue, it ought to do so without further hijacking the other thread. And since the original thread was in the Pit, I thought it was reasonable to put this one in the Pit, too.

Now:

I now see that in my haste to land the perfect comeback in a Pit thread, I swept too quickly through Anthracite’s subsequent posts and was unaware (despite ample opportunity to make myself aware) of the politeness and level-headedness with which she handled the disagreeing parties. Sparc might not have been outraged, but I was, and I rushed ahead to express my outrage without paying attention to the intervening posts.

I understand that Anthracite is on some sort of hiatus right now, and I’m not sure she cares anyway, but for what it’s worth, Anthracite, I apologize.

I guess that when you post something like this on a public message board, that all the other members are most certainly allowed to comment. If you want a message to go directly to someone, why not email them?

Of course, this is only a suggestion, and even though this is the Pit, I’m not doing this to add on to the dogpile or be bitchy or whatever. I’ve just never quite understood why people can’t just email each other 'round these parts.

Good apology, and I’m sure it will still be welcomed by Anthracite if & when she decides to come back around.

Hi there.

A few quick notes -

First off, Kyomara, my man, I didn’t have any real problem with you as a person or a poster. Your posts in the other thread honestly confused me. I thank you for your apology, and I hope that in the future both of us (that includes me) will give each other the benefit of the doubt. I’ve said it a billion times before - e-text is unclear, and with no clues of intent or tone, it’s very hard to tell if someone is truly making little snipes at you or not. Jodi and wring can both attest to my ability to misread posts and threads, and get into a lot of trouble. It’s neither a surprise nor uncommon that others fall into the same trap.

Thank you very much everyone else for sticking up for me. As Scotti kindly mentioned, I did not leave the Boards, in fact, I wasn’t posting on my own Board as well during this same time. It was a coincidence of timing with a Jubilee Week vacation to see Fierra. I typically do not post where or when I go anymore on my many trips because of the threats I have received from a person online.

Finally, I may not be back to read the responses here or elsewhere for some time, I am not certain, as Fierra needs frequent sex and care over this week.

The previous post was made by me, Anthracite, from Fierra’s computer.
Stupid browser cookies…get gun…make World pay…grumble…

Lucky Fierra!
:smiley:

as have I misread intentions etc. From our exchange that time, I semi learned (some lessons seem to need more than one application - wash, later, rinse, repeat ) to at least ask. :smiley: