Contractor? Seconder? Employment contract terms (legal)

I work at a employment firm in Japan and my boss is writing an employment contract in English. The situation: our client just hired someone for a six-month period, after which he may become a permanent employee.

The contract was origianally written between “the company” and “the employee”. Now my boss says we have to change these terms and she thinks we should go with “contractor” and “seconder”, respectively. (But she was unsure of the term “seconder” and just wrote “sec???” in her memo to me. She wants me to tell her the correct spelling, or else the correct terms.)

She is using “Contractor” to mean the employer. I have no idea if this is correct, and I have no idea about the term “Seconder” because I can’t find it anywhere in such a context. In sample contracts I’ve Googled, “Contractor” is used for the party doing the work for remuneration.

I’m always confused at my job, but this puts a huge question mark over my head, plus there is a legal contract involved.

Thanks for any guidance you may have.

You’re looking for advice on Japanese employment law, for a specific, real-world contract that you and your employer are presently drafting.

Umm… I would respectfully decline to answer this question if it were about Illinois employment law, and I’m a licensed attorney in that state. There’s no way I could do so without (at least arguably) creating an attorney-client relationship, and therefore making my malpractice carrier very unhappy. Even without that problem, I simply don’t know enough about the situation to provide you with worthwhile advice. Finally, even if I ignored the above problems, I have no idea what Japanese employment law is.

As I’m fairly sure that there are no Japanese employment lawyers on this board, any responses that you get here are going to be from persons who have no idea what they are talking about. So I have two pieces of advice. Talk to a lawyer in Japan, and ignore anyone who gives you advice in this thread. Except me.

Thank you for your sensible advice. Our client is a US company, and I have no idea why we had to change those terms in the first place. I get asked to do any strange thing here anytime it happens to involve English. Even when I say “I’m not a lawyer” or “I don’t have marketing experience”, people still continue to seek my “expert” advice.

I know it’s ridiculous. But I’m in a country where the vending machine stocks drinks like “Pocari Sweat” and “Human Water”. English is so revered and so abused here.

Thanks again, over and out.