Contradictions in TV ads

That ad phrase might actually reflect the realities of buying fish in a store.

Most fish is frozen for transportation to stores. The fish that you see being sold as “fresh” is just fish that the store thawed out from the frozen state they received it in. In cases like this, you’re better off just buying frozen fish from the store and thawing it out at home. The damage of freezing will be the same either way but by thawing it at home you’ll minimize the post-thawing deterioration.

God, no. Fish fuck in it.

I’ve seen ads use the “DO NOT ATTEMPT” warning on video of a car driving at normal speed on a straight road. If that wasn’t a joke, the lawyers are out of control!

AM/PM ads. “You can never have too much good stuff” then immediately after “AM/PM, too much good stuff”

Soooo, I can never have AM/PM? Ok, sold.

Before Justin Trudeau was elected, there was a radio ad that was touting the scary effects of legalizing marijuana. The logic seemed to be: if marijuana is legal for adults to get, then children will be able to (illegally) get it. So in other words…there’s no difference to the current situation?

So, not before breakfast nor when going to bed? That’s arguably sensible, I guess.

Those annoying My Pillow ads used to state that it increased “deep REM sleep” (I think they finally changed it).
Which is it?
Deep sleep or REM sleep?
Because if you knew anything about sleep you would know that REM sleep is a very light stage of sleep, as opposed to stages 3 and 4 (the deep stages).
I am not buying your pillow if you are showing me that you know absolutely nothing about sleep!

At first I though paying $80 for a pillow was insane, but incorrect nomenclature! Never! :stuck_out_tongue:

Isn’t the roughly twelve hours from dinner to breakfast between meals? :confused:

It’s more accurate than claiming “deep ELO sleep”.

Of course, sometimes you get the opposite. Speaking of sleep, there’s a mattress company who used to advertise their special springs with the property that, the harder you pushed on them, the harder they pushed back. Which is, y’know, Newton’s Second Law, and true of literally every object in the Universe.

There was a car ad showing half cars, split crossways, driving around. The usual disclaimer about professional drivers and closed course appeared. It was also clear that it was CGIed. Nobody was really driving, duh.

Back to the topic. I’ve seen ads for “miracle supplements” and such where the disclaimer basically says there’s no proof they do anything.

Ads often tout things that are completely unremarkable as special features. The classic was Lucky Strike’s claim “It’s Toasted,” which was true of every cigarette on the market.

I thought that the classic was two salmon companies, one selling white (farmed) salmon advertising that it wasn’t dyed, and another selling pink (wild) salmon, advertising that it wasn’t bleached.

This is my favorite part of those commercials too. So ridiculous.

But, will it cause the condition known as sausage fingers?

Hulu keeps running a Pepsi ad which remembers older Pepsi ads - “this isn’t your Father’s Pepsi,” a call back to Cindy Crawford’s ads, Britney Spears etc.

Then they mention that Pepsi was doing the moonwalk, while showing someone…not doing the moonwalk. :confused:

That’s more towards the tautology end of the scale rather than the contradictory end.

Last night, before shutting off the TV as I was going to bed, there was some infomercial about some “miracle cure” (my derisive term, not theirs) for leg cramps. Then they list the causes, and literally say Too Much Exercise, immediately followed up with Not Enough Exercise. Well, good gravy, it’s something only the 3 bears can solve, make sure to get just the right amount…

That’s what’s so mahvelous about miracle cures. Whatever you got, or don’t got, they can cure! It’s a miracle!