Giving this its own thread to maybe get a little attention for others that noticed the issue.
What was happening:
- Control-F was being hijacked by by Discourse to direct you to the search page.
- You could Ctrl-F twice to get the browser window search functionality. (For me at least) that still pulled you out of the thread to the search page first.
- Like most pages that have nominally modernized to use continuous scrolling only a limited chunk of data is buffered and searchable. The browser search just was not very useful on those pages.
What happens now (At least on Opera using Straight Dope Light):
- Inside a thread: Ctrl-F brings up a search box with a checkbox to search posts within the thread already selected. A second Ctrl-F brings up the browser search with it’s functionality.
- Outside a thread: The shortcut takes me straight to the browser search.
Technically that is still a hijack when inside a thread. It is now a useful hijack. The system fulfills my intent of wanting to search inside the thread. That beats the other continuous scroll websites that have nerfed the functionality of the browser search but still happily let me bring it up anyway.
@AdminModTubaDiva Thanks to you and your team. I was asking for mere consistency, even if relatively useless, and got something better than many other sites. Two thumbs up.