Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

No, no one has done that. If you think that we are on the cops side, and are looking for ways to exonerate them, then you are fucking stupid and ignoring the massive body of work of each of us in this thread.

You are the one that is lying here about what others are saying. Pointing out the hospital’s culpability is not letting the cops off the hook. You continuing to say so is just you continuing to lie your ass off.

See, this is a straight up lie, and why no one is taking you seriously.

You seem to have a habit of flying into a rage at any imagined provocation, and screaming your hateful bile at everyone. You make up and lie about what people have said, and take offense to that.

You say that I am making something personal, when you come in screaming and lying and telling everyone how horrible they are that they don’t immediately and completely agree with your twisted imagination. You drag a grudge from another one of your misrepresentations across years and threads to try to make some sort of point (which I don’t know what it is supposed to be, as you are lying about what I said in that thread). You were making it personal from the beginning here, bub, and then you even lie about what you yourself said.

Anyway, that’s my last word on you on this thread. If you would like further explanation of how much of a hateful piece of shit liar you are, we can take it to a thread dedicated to pointing that out for you.

Anyway /hijack about what a piece of shit …@Banquet_Bear is.

My last word on this encounter. Cops fucked up. They certainly made this woman’s last moments in this life far more horrific and inhumane than anyone (even a dog) deserves to suffer. It is possible that, had they gone well above and beyond their jobs, to the point of likely risking losing those jobs, it is slightly possible that they could have insisted enough for the medical staff to take it seriously, and admit her into the ER for immediate treatment.

Most likely, if the cops wouldn’t stop harassing the staff about a patient they already dismissed, the best that would have happened would have been that the cops were directed her to secure her in a bed, where she would have been ignored until she died.

The cops were the tool in this situation, and while they carried out their part with casual cruelty and a complete lack of empathy, the responsibility for her death rests with our fucked up healthcare system, for-profit hospitals, and hospital staff that made judgements based on their perceptions as to her character, rather than her medical condition.

They didn’t call social workers to help take care of this poor woman that they claimed was faking illness, they called the cops, knowing that the cops would take her away, and that she wouldn’t be their problem anymore. She may have been fine and faking it, she may have been ill but able to get over it, or she may have been about to die. It didn’t matter to them, they just wanted her gone.

Anyone that says that I am letting the cops off the hook, or saying that I have argued that the cops action’s weren’t “controversial”, is simply lying their ass off. What motive someone would have to do so, I still don’t quite understand.

…I disagree.

…the police only had involvement after she had been discharged and she had been trespassed from the property. All the interactions we saw on video were with the police and hospital security. So:

The hospital got her stable, discharged her, she wouldn’t leave, they called the police. There was no further assessment until after she became unresponsive in the back of the police car. So the police didn’t poison the well here. They never actually told the hospital that her condition had declined because they just assumed it was all an act.

Hands up: anyone whose mind is still open to change about this particular incident?

At this point, the only thing I care about is that @Chronos and @Banquet_Bear take this discussion off into another thread.

:+1:t3: :+1:t3:

Preach it.

Seconded. Thirded. Whatever.

I think I posted the initial confrontation back when it happened.

Lawsuit settled.

From the article:

According to the settlement paperwork, Linsday agrees and understands West Chester Township, its board of trustees, the two officers named in the suit and the township’s employees, agents, current and former elected and appointed officials and others including its present and future insurance carriers “expressly deny liability or wrongdoing, and he agrees and understands that this Release does not constitute an admission of any liability or wrongdoing by (the parties) in connection with the claims asserted in the Suit.”

I’m glad Lindsay at least got a monetary settlement out of this, but I wish more lawsuits demanded (and resulted in) a formal admission of wrongdoing on the part of the wrongdoer.

I suspect (not being a lawyer) that such an admission would have a very wide-ranging set of resulting consequences*, such that it would be a deal-breaker for the defendant(s), and such that they would then think it would be better to take their chance in court. I further suspect that the settlement amount is consequently higher than it might otherwise be. The plaintiff gets more money and saves time and lawyers’ fees for a trial (of course, if they win the other side would probably pay the fees); the defendant(s) get some kind of deniability.

*I only have a sort of vague idea what those consequences might be, but they might include making some of the defendants liable to criminal charges.

I’d hope that the defendants at least get admonished by their employers, and others get the lesson.

As far as controversial goes, this was pretty minor. No one was injured, no hands were even laid on Lindsay.

Police definitely fucked up and were made to pay for it, but it’s not as serious as many of the other stories on here. Not as much need to go to the mat, as it were.

A black mom and two kids were awarded $8.25 million after Alameda Sheriff’s Deputies detained and handcuffed them, searched their car, and eventually released them without charges. For these human rights violations the sheriff’s depantment promoted two of the officers to sergeant.

This has been a documented problem for literally fifty years.

I’m sure the new round of reforms will put the issue to bed.

You simply cannot fix the LASD. They have tattoos. And guns.

Okay, there’s nowhere else for this to go, certainly not in this thread:

But every time I see that post title, I can’t help but mentally finish with, “And the police helpfully shot one of them.”

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

ROFL OL that made me laugh for the first time in days … and no I wouldn’t of cared if you added that in there l

Just take them to the vet and get them chipped.

For what it’s worth, I spent eight years as an EMT, and had to respond to more strokes or TIA’s than I can remember. And in a situation like the one presented here, I would have done exactly what @Banquet_Bear has suggested: have her reevaluated before trying to transport her anywhere. Even if all the hospital does is kick her out again, I’ve at least covered my ass. If she still shows signs of deterioration after, I’d be tempted to have her evaluated at a different facility if there’s one close by.

The Adams County (Ohio) Sheriff’s Office raided Afroman’s house, based on a warrant that was itself based on false information. They were caught on his security cameras rifling through his suit coat pockets and his CDs, looking for kidnapping victims. They were also caught disabling his cameras (which I believe is illegal), and one porky cop was caught looking wistfully at Afroman’s lemon poundcake. Afroman mocked the cops mercilessly on social media and even produced a couple of songs making fun of them. Now they’re suing because he’s ruined their reputations and used their images for profit. Afroman speaks out about being sued by officers who raided his home : NPR