Controversial encounters between law-enforcement and civilians - the omnibus thread #2

What is there to actually charge them with? Someone might try to stretch conspiracy to commit murder to cover it, but even if they were convicted it wouldn’t stand up to appeal.

Firing them is about as good an outcome as we can hope for. Sure, they’re probably going to be rehired by another department, but any minority they arrest has an automatic challenge to their credibility and bias.

There was a recent thread in GD “Excited Delirium” - Real, or ‘Police killed this guy?’ when I first read that title I assumed it was an something cops cops suffered from when they go overboard beating someone.

Their cases are being reviewed.

If it is uncovered that they abused their authority, planted evidence, or in any other way put someone in jail who did not legally deserve to be there, then I should hope that there would be something to charge them with.

Unfortunately, you may be right in that those are not illegal activities for a cop.

In he UK those police staff would be suspended and investigated, very likely would be disciplined for a breach of professional standards - but if it was determined their behavior had brought the reputation of the police into disrepute they would be dismissed - I cannot understand why there is a race to use law when simple breaches of contract are enough to offload staff like this.

Powerful police unions.
Planet Money: Police Unions And Police Violence Do police unions lead to more police violence? : Planet Money : NPR

Seems to me that US police unions resemble the NRA far more than they do as representatives of workers.

Alabama cop fired after posting image of a protester in crosshairs with the caption “Exhale. Feel. Pause. Press steadily. That’s what’s next.”

This might seem somewhat minor in the scale of the stuff we’ve been talking about recently, but it shows the small ways that police can, and sometimes do, abuse their authority.

From Rossford, Ohio (near Toledo):

The cop was suspended and an investigation was begun. He then resigned from the department.

After seeing the story, another woman came forward saying that she had previously been contacted by him over social media after he pulled her over for a traffic offense. You have to wonder how many other women he looked up in the police database.

Minor?

Well, minor precisely because no-one was assaulted or killed. It was apparently just a jackass cop using his access to databases to hit on women. As bad as that is, it’s rather different from the story you’ve posted.

Is that distinction clear to you, or would you like me to explain it in more detail?

Not sure what point you are trying to make here. Craig Allen Peyer murdered her and dropped her body off a bridge while he was on duty.

Dammit, I deleted that last post!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Oakland Police Officer Arrested For Allegedly Stalking A City Employee

Police said the incident stems from “a former relationship” while not identifying the officer or the alleged victim. No time frame was released as to when the harassment and threats began.

Okay, so they kill a kid for listening to music. That’s bad enough.

Now they pepper spray people for playing violins as part of a vigil to their lost friend.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/29/elijah-mcclain-colorado-police

It’s almost like they aren’t interested in improving their relationship with the community.

Yeaaaaa. Almost eh?

It’s almost like they are an armed gang, who beats on people who don’t RESPECT their power.

Well, actually that’s what they are.

Cop who stopped Elijah McClain fired over chokehold photos

But wait! There’s more!

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Hopefully we’re seeing the start of some real change - BLM protests appear to be much larger than the 1960s protests and involve a lot more white people: Black Lives Matter May Be the Largest Movement in U.S. History - The New York Times

Interesting article here:

Great article - thanks!

I found that Vox article very insightful. I know that in order to fix a problem, you need to first identify the problem and the causes, so it’s encouraging to see people really digging into this issue in this way.

I hope we will soon begin to see good innovative ways to remedy some of these things.

Meanwhile: This is the police response this journalist received to a story she did.