Corned beef

Say you cook a huge corned beef and cabbage.
Left overs for a couple days after.

3rd day.
Half the beast is left.

What do you do with it?

We make hash cakes and freeze them. You can even reheat them in a toaster.

Cut it into appropriate sized pieces and freeze it for some future meal when you don’t want to cook.

There’s leftover corned beef on the third day?

Corned beef hash— cut up potatoes into very small cubes and fry up with chopped corned beef. Put a mound of it on a plate and top with a fried egg. Not the healthiest breakfast, but yum. My dad used to heat up corned beef hash out of a can all the time. I will still pick up a can every so often, like once a year. Or it makes for a hearty breakfast when camping.

Well, it kinda depends, there could be two responses to that situation:

1. No way I’m going to finish this much corned beef as is before it spoils!

and

1. I’m so sick of corned beef, what can I do to make it less corn-beefy so I don’t waste (before it spoils)!

Most of the answers are for the first group, but the second begs for various fusion dishes, like thin sliced corned beef slices on a bowl of hot ramen, a sweet and sour “pork” style dish of leftover corned beef on rice, a shredded corned beef cooked with a can of sweet BBQ beans as a Sloppy Joe style sandwich, and other options.

Of course, those mostly use the corned beef and leaves the remaining cabbage behind to feed the garbage or compost, but not being a fan of cabbage, I’m okay with that.

Got rye bread and Swiss cheese? Make Reuben sandwiches. Mix mayo, ketchup, and green relish to make so-called “Russian” dressing. Add a little white vinegar and some caraway seeds to the cabbage to approximate sauerkraut.

You want fusion, how about corned beef egg rolls? O’Lee cow, these sound good!

I’ve done such things! Although I used pulled pork last time. Beef prices being what they are, I just don’t buy it much. Although I’m planning my yearly post holiday check on the local mega-marts for marked down over-brined store corned beef brisket in bags to buy on the cheap and ask my father-in-law to smoke for me later!

Too late now but I love making split pea soup from the simmer broth. Most recipes call for ham or bacon but salty beef is really tasty, too, and the traditional simmer spice profile

Seriously. I sometimes make one for lunches and, even portioned out M-F, it’s really hard not to sneak a bit from tomorrow.

I eat it with every meal. A’s an omelette for breakfast, a Reuben sandwich for lunch, repeated dinner, until it’s gone. The dogs get a bit in each of their meals.

How big of a corned beef brisket are you talking about? Most of the cryovac packed corned beef briskets I see in supermarkets are two to three pounds, uncooked, and they shrink somewhat on cooking. Perhaps too much for one person to eat over a coiple of days, but two or three people around here would make short work of that in two days.

Those me of the late lamented Kosher Burrito. Basically, a pastrami sandwich in a burrito, but it’d be just as good with corned beef.

I always corn the beef myself, from a 5-6 pound brisket. It’s pretty easy and the result is much better than the prepackaged crap. In fact it’s so good there’s really no need to worry about what to do with long-term leftovers, because there aren’t any. A few days of dinners and corned beef sandwiches takes care of it.

How are you corning your own beef brisket? Corning has nothing to do with actual corn. That is just the size of the rock salt that you are curing the beef in. Corn sized salt. Maybe you are going to all that extra effort, and time, it takes a lot of time. It is like making pickled fish with meat.

And here we are making two hunks of meat so we don’t run out of it. I will also demolish the whole head of cabbage myself and thankfully work from home so I won’t have to apologize for the gas…

Corned beef hash and reubens await. I’ll swell up like a tick due to the salt volume then I’m good for a year on making it again. I roast mine instead of crockpot/boiling, its addictive and I get tired of it just about when it runs out.

So I’m not normally a big fan of ‘American Wagyu’, which is unregulated and as a result is most often just not worth the extra dollars. But Costco sells ‘Wagyu’ corned beef in the run up to St. Patrick’s day and I honestly gotta say that particular version really does make a better corned beef. Moreover it is massively cheaper than if you were to get that brand over the web - I would never, ever buy it at the normal retail price.

So I just bought four :grinning:. Not only is the use by date in June, but you can freeze them beyond that. I do love me some corned beef.

I love corned beef, too, but man that stuff becomes little meat daggers that get jammed in my gumline.

I’ve made it at home, and it wasn’t any big deal. It was delicious. It’s been a long time, so I don’t remember what recipe I used offhand without hunting (posting from my cell). It was simply a matter of brining it in the fridge for several days. (I used fresh bay leaves from my backyard which really made a difference!)

I’ve been dreading that. I’d been snacking on chicharrones com carne, and the hard bits of pork got stuck in my gums and it’s still painful. Tomorrow I’m making corned beef.

Rinse a couple times with mouthwash mixed with a cap full of peroxide. It will help. Til you do it again.